From White Sheets to Spreadsheets: The New Voter Suppression

optimusprime

From White Sheets to Spreadsheets: The New Voter Suppression

Post #1 by optimusprime » January 8th, 2017, 6:41 pm

If true, this is terrible....

...Greg Palast has uncovered the latest in vote suppression tactics led by Republicans that could threaten the integrity of the vote in Ohio and North Carolina. On some polling machines, audit protection functions have been shut off, and African Americans and Hispanics are being scrubbed from the voter rolls through a system called Crosscheck. "It’s a brand-new Jim Crow," Palast says. "Today, on Election Day, they’re not going to use white sheets to keep way black voters. Today, they’re using spreadsheets."

And

GREG PALAST: In Ohio in 2004, the mismatch of exit polls and the machine count, that put George W. Bush back in the White House, raised questions of the integrity of Ohio’s voting machines. They had no paper ballots to allow an audit of the vote. But today, many new voting machines in Ohio have a built-in safety feature.
ROBERT FITRAKIS: Well, machines now can actually take a ballot image, in the sequence of every single one cast, to eliminate fraud if somebody tampers with the paper ballots.
GREG PALAST: There’s only one problem.
ROBERT FITRAKIS: They’ve decided to turn off the security.
GREG PALAST: Election law attorney Robert Fitrakis represents Republicans and Democrats. He just discovered that the photo image and audit protection functions have literally been shut off.
ROBERT FITRAKIS: So they bought state-of-the-art equipment and turned off the security.
GREG PALAST: We followed Fitrakis into state court in Columbus. He’s seeking to order the Republican secretary of state to turn on all the voter protections on the machines. We weren’t allowed to film, but Republican officials argued that it would require a massive effort to turn on the protection applications.
ROBERT FITRAKIS: It’s a drop-down box, just like on your computer. Do you want ballot images of every ballot cast? You would think yes. Same thing for the audit log.
GREG PALAST: The judge, a Republican appointee, disagreed. He ruled that the Republican officials could leave the machines unprotected.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/8/greg_palast_in_ohio_on_gop?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=7612158117-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-7612158117-190207349
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

7rob7

Re: From White Sheets to Spreadsheets: The New Voter Suppression

Post #2 by 7rob7 » January 9th, 2017, 7:34 am

What does it say about me that this is the first place I went after I read this.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muXmIWis0bI

Closely followed by...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQT-QFy5Nig
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #3 by Bill Bryan » January 11th, 2017, 4:29 am

... and now we're learning that after the first black male president we're getting the first blackmailed president. :P
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #4 by 7rob7 » January 11th, 2017, 6:26 am

I'd be pissed if I were him.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #5 by Bill Bryan » January 11th, 2017, 8:35 am

garbanzo.jpg
garbanzo.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 422 times
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Return to “U.S.”