NC Slides Deeper Into Stupid

Bill Bryan

Re: NC Slides Deeper Into Stupid

Post #101 by Bill Bryan » June 19th, 2014, 2:13 pm

In order to fight the madness, I've been canvassing for Kay Hagan already. I think I've rung about 150 doorbells, working Saturday mornings only.

Last Saturday was kinda hot. It's gonna get hotter this summer. I'm gonna have to start carrying water or sumpin'.

But the GOP is pouring millions into this state to try to support Tillis over Kay. I'm going to work to stop that from happening.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #102 by 7rob7 » June 20th, 2014, 9:08 am

What can I/we do to help?

(I just made a note to open tech/dress rehearsal on Election Day to the first 30 people who come with an "I voted" sticker... a "sneak preview" if you will.)

:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #103 by Bill Bryan » June 20th, 2014, 1:12 pm

7rob7 wrote:What can I/we do to help?

Lemme ask my organizer lady. I bet she can give me a phone number for whatever they're doing in Chapel Hill.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #104 by 7rob7 » June 21st, 2014, 7:58 am

[center]Duke Energy Warned About Pipe's Likelihood To Leak In 1986[/center]
Documents summoned Tuesday by a grand jury investigating the Dan River spill show that Duke Energy got clear warnings about its Eden-area coal ash basin decades before this winter’s calamity.

The documents from the N.C. Utilities Commission include engineering reports from 1986 and 1992 that highlight potential problems with a drainage pipe under the doomed pond.

The pond stored huge amounts of ash from coal burned by the now-retired Dan River Steam Station beside the river.
The 1986 report particularly noted potential problems with the mixed, metal-and-concrete construction of the pipe that caused this winter’s spill when the metal section broke.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

optimusprime

Post #105 by optimusprime » July 9th, 2014, 6:55 am

[shadow=blue]NC OFFICIAL POSTS PRO-CONFEDERATE ANTI-BLACK FACEBOOK POSTS[/shadow]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/08/n ... ook-posts/
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Post #106 by Bill Bryan » July 10th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Thanks, Obama!

OK, I'm kidding. But open racism really HAS increased exponentially since we elected him.

A guy in my wife's insurance office in '12 was talking about the Tea Turds, and he said, "And if that makes me a racist, so be it."

I don't think it was considered OK to tell people in a business office that you are a racist back in 2000 or 2005.

I thought we had won some sort of victory over racism in '08. Instead, it's gotten worse and worse and worse and worse. People like this guy are everywhere nowadays.
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #107 by 7rob7 » July 15th, 2014, 1:54 pm

[center]Congresswoman Urges GOP To Bring Policy Discussion ‘Down To A Women’s Level’[/center]
Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC), a second-term Congresswoman and chair of the Republican Women’s Policy Committee, participated in a Friday panel on women and the Republican Party. According to a report from Washington Examiner reporter Ashe Schow, she suggested that the best way for the party to appeal to women is to talk down to them.

The article quotes Ellmers, who prior to her 2010 election to Congress worked as a registered nurse and as clinical director of a North Carolina wound care center, as saying:

ELLMERS: Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level… Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know, we all agree with that. …

We need our male colleagues to understand that if you can bring it down to a woman’s level and what everything that she is balancing in her life — that’s the way to go

It also quotes her as saying that what women most want is more time, including “more time in the morning to get ready.”

Here in the House of 7, we've contributed to Clay Aiken's campaign, even 'though we're in a different district.

- - - - - - -

How's that "reaching out" to women going for ya, GOP?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Oracle

Post #108 by The Oracle » July 16th, 2014, 8:06 am

Foggy wrote:Thanks, Obama!

OK, I'm kidding. But open racism really HAS increased exponentially since we elected him.

A guy in my wife's insurance office in '12 was talking about the Tea Turds, and he said, "And if that makes me a racist, so be it."

I don't think it was considered OK to tell people in a business office that you are a racist back in 2000 or 2005.

I thought we had won some sort of victory over racism in '08. Instead, it's gotten worse and worse and worse and worse. People like this guy are everywhere nowadays.

2008 was a victory for political correctness. And now that many people see the results; they don't like it.

If that's racist; so be it. :smoking:

7Rob's jab was so over the top that I just had to read "the rest of the story"

Ellmers said her comments had been “taken completely out of context” in the Examiner story. “I am a woman, and find it both offensive and sexist to take my words and redefine them to imply that women need to be addressed at a lower level,” she wrote, blaming “certain leftist writers” for engaging in “‘gotcha’ journalism.’

hmmmm.... :popcorn:

7rob7

Post #109 by 7rob7 » July 16th, 2014, 12:46 pm

¿Que "over the top," or favor?

... leftist writers...

Actually, the paper that broke the story is considered conservative. Regardless, it's hard to see how bring it down to a woman’s level does NOT imply that women need to be addressed at a lower level.

No "gotcha" detected.

The Oracle

Post #110 by The Oracle » July 16th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I'd suggest that Elmers is using a form of Southern dialect which uses effacement.

2. to make (oneself) inconspicuous or humble through modesty, cowardice, or obsequiousness

7rob7

Post #111 by 7rob7 » July 30th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Hey, y'all, look! We're in the national news!

[center]No, Cutting Unemployment Benefits Didn’t Boost North Carolina’s Workforce[/center]
Last year, North Carolina made such drastic cuts to its unemployment insurance program that it got kicked out of the federal program that gave states money to keep the long-term unemployed receiving benefits after they exhausted the state-level ones. That meant any unemployed person out of work longer than 20 weeks was cut off from getting a check.

Republican proponents of the move claimed that it would “put North Carolinians back to work” by pushing them harder to find a job. And Gov. Pat McCrory (R) has since claimed that the reduction in benefits has been “one lone factor” in reducing the state’s unemployment rate.

But the results of that experiment actually show the opposite. As a new report from the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) finds, the ratio of people who are employed to the total population for those between the ages of 25 and 54 — in other words, those who aren’t likely to be out of the workforce because they’re in school or retired — had already begun to rise rapidly before the benefit cut took effect. It kept rising for two months afterward, meaning more of its prime-age workers were getting jobs, but then it started to decline, “gradual at first, and then more pronounced.”

And perhaps even more importantly, the state’s labor market looked about the same as in nearby states. Compared to five other southern neighbors — Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia — in the period between North Carolina’s cut took effect and a nationwide cut in long-term unemployment benefits hit all states, the share of people with jobs “differed very little,” the report notes. “This outcome provides little reason to believe that North Carolina’s cuts fundamentally improved the labor market in the state,” it concludes.

Whoopie.

7rob7

Post #112 by 7rob7 » September 12th, 2014, 1:18 pm

[center]Duplin County K-9 Deputy Left In Squad Vehicle Dies[/center]
A Duplin County K-9 deputy left in a squad vehicle was found dead the next day.

"Kela," a 9-year-old Belgian Malinois, died last month, said Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace. She had been with her handler, Deputy Kevin Williams, for four-and-a-half years.

Sheriff Wallace said the death was a "tragic accident." Deputy Williams was getting off duty on Aug. 19 when he got a call that his child was sick. Williams then drove his own squad car home, went inside to change, and left to take care of his sick child, said Sheriff Wallace.

Williams left Kela in the squad car, and a family member found the dog dead the next day, Sheriff Wallace said.

Sheriff Wallace told NewsChannel 12 Williams was not charged because there was no proof of criminal intent.

Since when has "criminal intent" been required to charge someone for killing?

Oh, wait... the perp is a cop. Well, then, never mind.

optimusprime

Post #113 by optimusprime » September 19th, 2014, 6:50 am

[align=center]GOP candidate Mark Walker says he has no qualms about war with Mexico[/align]

Mark Walker, the Republican candidate for North Carolina’s 6th Congressional District, has a plan for dealing with securing the country’s border with Mexico: first use the National guard then escalate. (See the video below.)

At a candidates forum held by Will of the People, a tea party group, ahead of the Republican run-off election, Walker was asked how he would secure the country’s southern border.

His answer: “My first answer is we’re going to utilize the National Guard as much as we can. But I will tell you, if you have foreigners who were sneaking in with drug cartels to me that is a national threat and if we’ve got to go laser or blitz somebody with a couple of fighter jets for a little while to make our point, I don’t have a problem with that either.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/18/ ... rylink=cpy
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Post #114 by Bill Bryan » September 19th, 2014, 9:23 am

We import about $245 billion with a b goods from Mexico annually.

Mexico buys about $137 billion with another b goods from the United States annually.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/profile/country/mex/

Mexico has a rising middle class and a growing economy.

So sure, let's nuke the bastards. They're brown people!
- President Barack Obama

optimusprime

Post #115 by optimusprime » September 30th, 2014, 10:10 pm

[shadow=blue]Judge Slams Voter Suppression Law — ‘Why Does The State Of North Carolina Not Want People To Vote?[/shadow]’

(Think Progress) Judge Wynn, the only member of the panel who lives in North Carolina, appeared baffled by this provision. Explaining that he lives very close to a precinct that is not his assigned polling place, he asked the state to justify why his vote should be thrown out if he did not travel to a precinct that is further away from his home. At one point, his questions grew quite pointed — “Why does the state of North Carolina not want people to vote?” Wynn asked. At another point, he described a hypothetical grandmother who has always voted at the same place. Why not “let her just vote in that precinct?” he wondered?
~ Malcolm XImage

optimusprime

Post #116 by optimusprime » October 4th, 2014, 9:15 pm

[shadow=blue]Grassroots NC threatens to sue to allow conceal carry at NC State Fair[/shadow]

Stupid, nitwit legislators; even allowing this loophole in the first place. And WTF are these crazies thinking?

RALEIGH — The state’s most recent gun law may allow concealed firearms at this year’s N.C. State Fair, where they have been forbidden for decades.

Grass Roots North Carolina, an advocate group for gun owners, plans to file a legal action establishing the right under state law, according to representatives.

Fair officials, meanwhile, are considering stepped-up security and plan to continue the yearly event’s no-guns policy.

“We’re not changing any policy that we’ve had in the past,” said Steve Troxler, the state’s agriculture commissioner and the head of the fair. “Hopefully ... we’ll get the word out now: Leave them in the car.”

Please do not set up the GOP table and the Libertarian guy near the Mt Olive Pickles. I'd hate to think that these peeps are "packing" in the fair... :lol:
~ Malcolm XImage

7rob7

Post #117 by 7rob7 » October 5th, 2014, 8:08 am

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

mariaporter

Post #118 by mariaporter » October 5th, 2014, 1:07 pm

I support the right to own firearms, but I don't really understand what these "pro-gun" advocates have to gain by pulling these stunts like open-carrying en masse or pushing to carry at events like the State Fair. They just make themselves look like a bunch of assholes.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

East of Here

Post #119 by East of Here » October 5th, 2014, 5:13 pm

mariaporter wrote:I support the right to own firearms, but I don't really understand what these "pro-gun" advocates have to gain by pulling these stunts like open-carrying en masse or pushing to carry at events like the State Fair. They just make themselves look like a bunch of assholes.

Gun owners are just like every other group of people. They have their reasonable majority and their vocal nutjob minority. And, the whole group gets defined by the idiots. I have always been a gun owner and collector. I have been a hunter, recreational shooter and competition shooter. I am "pro-gun". However, I hate these new so-called "open carry activists". They are not doing that for any legitimate purpose. They are doing it solely to provoke and agitate the "anti-gun" groups. It's no different than the NC legislature changing the NC Constitution to make gay marriage unconstitutional. What they are doing accomplishes nothing but thumbing their nose at the other side.

As for concealed carry, I am generally in favor of doing so, IF (and only IF) the person doing so is going to actually train on a regular basis to maintain competency with the weapon and the person is willing to make responsible choices on when/where to carry and when/where not to. However, I do not think that the State Fair is a good place to carry concealed and I would not do so even if allowed. Mainly, there are just too many people in too close a proximity to make a firearm a good choice of self protection. The risk of injury to bystanders from using a firearm in all but the most dire of active shooter circumstances is just too great - and this applies to the Police as well as private citizens. Besides, other than a gang related stabbing a few years ago, what in the hell would suggest a need to carry? Hell, if you are afraid, just don't go on Friday or Saturday night, and you'll be guaranteed to be safe.

I will say that if the current law allows concealed carry at the fair, then the Dept. of Ag has no authority to violate that law. However, I do agree that Grass Roots NC is risking alienating a lot of people (even pro-2nd people) by charging this particular windmill.

7rob7

Post #120 by 7rob7 » October 5th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Guys, I sympathize... Had to negotiate my way through a group of PETA-like demonstrators in front of Whole Foods this afternoon, protesting that WF sells rabbit meat.

As you know, I am a strong advocate for vegetarianism as a more humane, more moral life choice, but people like that do nothing to advance the cause while giving ammunition to the people who attack us and annoying the hell out of our supporters.

East has the right of it: the extremists make it a lot harder for the sensible among us.

Return to “North Carolina”