Snow Plows

mariaporter

Snow Plows

Post #1 by mariaporter » February 20th, 2015, 2:56 pm

I feel like every time we have a snow/ice event in the area, people lament the fact that we don't have the resources to salt and plow all the roads. My initial thought on this is that it's not worth it to purchase and maintain a fleet of plows for what amounts to maybe 2-3 days out of the year. However, given that most places/offices/etc pretty much shut down during these snow events, I wonder how much the state of North Carolina LOSES in revenue. Do you think it's equal to, greater than or less than the cost of having a few extra plows and equipment to deal with snow/ice? Would be interested in your thoughts.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

Bill Bryan

Re: Snow Plows

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » February 21st, 2015, 2:28 pm

I don't know how much they lose in money, but sometimes it is a little ridiculous.

We got less than an inch of snow total this past week, with really just a dusting on Wednesday. But my kids were out of school 2 hours early on Monday and the entire rest of the week. They've probably forgotten everything they learned already this semester.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

mariaporter

Post #3 by mariaporter » February 21st, 2015, 4:19 pm

Foggy wrote:I don't know how much they lose in money, but sometimes it is a little ridiculous.

We got less than an inch of snow total this past week, with really just a dusting on Wednesday. But my kids were out of school 2 hours early on Monday and the entire rest of the week. They've probably forgotten everything they learned already this semester.

I saw that! I could understand Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but the roads were pretty clear on Thursday and Friday - I got to and from work just fine. Only real issue was the parking lot, which was still pretty much a sheet of ice. Hope we have a better weather week coming up.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

Bill Bryan

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » February 22nd, 2015, 6:29 am

Not sure about Thursday, but schools stayed closed Friday because of the single-digit temps, not the snow. Can't have frozen children at the bus stops.

'Course, millions of children in northern cities make it to the bus stop and to school in sub-zero temps, and none of them seem to freeze.

Today will be warmer, and in a few weeks we'll forget this weather entirely. ;)
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #5 by 7rob7 » February 22nd, 2015, 11:40 am

Meant to reply the other day, Maria, but spent the tail end of the week playing catch-up in order to get a show open Friday night. (We had a visiting performance company in from Mexico City, and lost several days because of the campus being closed and the busses not running.)

I was wondering the day you posted how come no one's invented/developed a vehicle that could be easily fit out as a snow plow when needed, but could also be used the rest of the year in some other DOT capacity (highway construction, for example.)

Or it that too obvious? ](*,)

- - - - - - -

And I agree about the snow wimp mentality that seizes NC whenever there's a trace of snow/ice in the forecast. Jeez Louieez! :roll:

Though it was nippy enough the other morning that I finally gave up and rummaged around in the closet 'till I found the winter coat I bought 7-8 years ago and forgot about. Doubt I'll need it again for another 7-8 years, if then.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

mariaporter

Post #6 by mariaporter » February 23rd, 2015, 8:30 am

7rob7 wrote:
I was wondering the day you posted how come no one's invented/developed a vehicle that could be easily fit out as a snow plow when needed, but could also be used the rest of the year in some other DOT capacity (highway construction, for example.)

Or it that too obvious? ](*,)

Actually, the NC DOT does this! Most of the "plows" you see are other vehicles that have been modified so they can be used to remove snow.

Bill Bryan

Post #7 by Bill Bryan » February 23rd, 2015, 9:24 am

Weather Underground says a week from today it'll be 67°. It's almost over, folks. :cheer:
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #8 by 7rob7 » February 23rd, 2015, 9:49 am

Actually, the NC DOT does this!

Well, not very well, then, I guess.

Color me surprised.

Not.

:D
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Return to “North Carolina”