ATTN: Homeowners/PotentialHomeowners/Fans of Property Rights

mariaporter

ATTN: Homeowners/PotentialHomeowners/Fans of Property Rights

Post #1 by mariaporter » March 20th, 2015, 9:31 am

Do you LIKE having a say in what happens in your neighborhood? NC Representative Paul Stam recently proposed a bill that gets rid of "protest petitions", a tool that citizens can use to slow down the development process so that they can be part of the discussion. House Bill 201 is currently on the NCGA calendar for Monday, March 23. There's an article on the bill here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/…/under-th…/article15368615.html

Find and contact your rep here and tell them to vote no on this garbage legislation here:

http://www.ncleg.net/representation/Who ... ntsMe.aspx
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

mariaporter

Re: ATTN: Homeowners/PotentialHomeowners/Fans of Property Rights

Post #2 by mariaporter » March 21st, 2015, 9:42 am

To the other reps, I sent a nice note asking them to vote now. Like it matters, I'm sure they are all getting $$$ for this.

Anyway, to the asshole that proposed this garbage, Paul Stam, I sent this:

A friend recently brought House Bill 201 to my attention. You obviously do not care about the rights of North Carolina property owners. WE PAY TAXES and therefore have a right to have a say in developments that affect our neighborhoods. HOW DARE YOU propose to take away one of the few precious tools that tax paying citizens have to protect their neighborhoods from unwanted and potentially damaging developments?

I'm sure you are getting money from someone in exchange for this garbage legislation.

I've contacted representatives and asked them to vote no. I've also sent this information to other homeowners. I hope you fail spectacularly. If you don;t, may someone build a Walmart in your backyard.

For those who still buy into the 2 party system, this bill has bipati$an $upport.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

East of Here

Post #3 by East of Here » March 21st, 2015, 2:29 pm

I am not in favor of abolishing protest petitions altogether. However, I am in favor of modifying the process to prevent 'abuse' of the process. Hopefully, a compromise can be reached.

mariaporter

Post #4 by mariaporter » March 21st, 2015, 4:02 pm

Are there examples of this method being abused? or is this just a case of "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist?

East of Here

Post #5 by East of Here » March 21st, 2015, 7:56 pm

I am sure there are examples of abuse, though I do not work in that area of law, so I have not been personally involved with it. I have heard (anecdotally) of the process being abused to great effect in a few situations. That said, even if there are egregious examples of abuse, the entire process should not be eliminated. That is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Rather, they could change the formula requiring larger percentage(s) of affected landowners to join the Petition and/or lower the supermajority requirement to overcome the Petition. Or, they could use a sliding scale that pins the voting numbers needed to overcome a Petition to the percentage of affected landowners on the Petition. There should be a way to fairly balance the interests of all affected parties.

mariaporter

Post #6 by mariaporter » March 22nd, 2015, 2:21 pm

I see it as lawmakers placating developers that just want to be able to do whatever they want without having to deal with those pesky residential property owners. I find it hard to believe that there are enough examples of abuse of this method to justify this legislation. Especially since homeowners generally aren't brought into this conversation until well into the planning process.

East of Here

Post #7 by East of Here » March 22nd, 2015, 10:04 pm

The bill to eliminate protest petitions entirely is absolutely being pushed by developers (and their lobby) who want to remove ANY barriers to unrestrained development. But, I do think that the system instead needs to be modernized to prevent abuses committed in order to thwart needed or otherwise desirable (by the majority) local development. There is middle ground here.

Return to “North Carolina”