Pearl Harbor Day ... Missive

optimusprime

Pearl Harbor Day ... Missive

Post #1 by optimusprime » December 7th, 2015, 11:22 pm

Today is Pearl Harbor Day (7 December). This is a good time to reflect on "The Greatest Generation" and the sacrifices they made to defend and preserve freedoms that we hold dear today.

One such celebration was in Greenville, NC. I actually was in attendance there - one of a handful of peeps. But, oh well. I was invited by a good vet from Greenville, but most of our conversation was about his beloved ECU Pirates and the firing of Coach Ruffin McNeil.

Anywho, one comment caught my eye:

I can go anywhere in this country without a passport or without some checking a government official for permission. It’s pretty nice. It’s because of these guys and their sacrifices that I am allowed to do these things,” said James Harris.

Sadly, Mr. Harris, not EVERYONE can do what you so love. Hispanics in Arizona (although the law was written for ANYONE not able to prove citizenship) have to deal with Arizona LEOs asking for papers, and, of course, Islamophobia has it now that the governor of this state will not accept any brown people from Syria, and now, just about anyone with them arab sounding, non-biblical names.

Plus, the rabid GOP low-informed voters just love Donald trump's latest speech where he doubled down on his ludicrous and preposterous plan to ban all Muslims from entering the United States until we "can figure out just what the hell is going on." The crowd cheered as if they were at a Saturday night lynching in Starkville, Mississippi, circa 1892. I guess now for the trumpsta is to trot out some Asian-Americans who will get on stage and advocate for rounding them muslim hoards up and settling them in internment camps on former / closed military bases for America's safety. [-X

And, Mr. Harris - while it is nice that you've had that privilege for all of your life, not every American could come and go without some checking a government official for permission. And, they did not need papers - the color of their skin was the deciding factor some (50 years ago).

Pearl Harbor Day, 2015. Again, I don't want to take away from those who fought for freedoms that we now enjoy today. I just take issue with Mr. Harris' statement because, it seems even more today, that once one forget history, they will be doomed to repeat history.

Bill Bryan

Re: Pearl Harbor Day ... Missive

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » December 8th, 2015, 6:03 am

I was at a joint meeting of the Wake Democratic Men's and Women's clubs last night. The speaker said that Stan Greenberg, one of the top polling advisers in this great land of ours, is predicting a massive landslide for Dems next year. He thinks we may take back the Senate.

And yeah, Pearl Harbor Day was a good day to get fired up about getting rid of these RWNJs and their un-American values.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Return to “Free Forum”