The Arts and the value of artist production

The Oracle

The Arts and the value of artist production

Post #1 by The Oracle » August 1st, 2013, 8:09 am

Spending on entertainment and the development of movies, books, music and TV shows are counted as investments. That’s because they can generate sales and profits for years after they’ve been produced. Only long-lasting TV shows, such as sitcoms and dramas, are counted as investment. Reality shows and game shows, which have shorter shelf lives, aren’t.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

I'm not sure I fully understand.

The initial report I saw implied the GDP will include a much larger look at the arts, in general. As a bigger part of the overall economic picture. As the economy sputters along; the arts themselves remain vibrant and productive. The American people's desire for art including new venues for the arts; is a relatively strong part of the economic engine.

Does that make sense?

7rob7

Re: The Arts and the value of artist production

Post #2 by 7rob7 » August 1st, 2013, 8:22 am

Thank you! I thought I'd bookmarked this article to post, then lost it in the confusion. Wolfing down a tasty 'mater sammich -- thanks! -- before have to run for the bus, but I'll be back to talk about this later today.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

The Oracle

Re: The Arts and the value of artist production

Post #3 by The Oracle » August 1st, 2013, 12:59 pm

It's nice that the art world is getting some official love. I listened to a musician last night talk about having trouble getting a loan. The banks don't seem to get that the artist is his own boss. On his own schedule. And so forth and so on. This move at least attempts to define some of those more esoteric parameters. Like song rights going forward.

Return to “Economy”