Wealth Distribution in the US

clando

Wealth Distribution in the US

Post #1 by clando » November 12th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Here is an unbelievable video demonstrating wealth distribution in the US.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM[/bbvideo]

7rob7

Re: Wealth Distribution in the US

Post #2 by 7rob7 » November 12th, 2013, 3:46 pm

I've seen that. "Unbelievable" doesn't really apply, in my opinion. :madsteam:
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #3 by Bill Bryan » November 12th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Oh, I believe it all right. What's amazing is, people aren't trying to fix it, in fact the Tea Party is trying to make it worse.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #4 by 7rob7 » December 2nd, 2013, 10:14 am

[center]Inequality is a political problem, not an economic one[/center]
The six heirs to the Walmart retail fortune in the United States have a net worth greater than the bottom 40 per cent of the population.

Let that sink in for a second. And while it does, consider this further Walmart-related fact: one of their stores recently ran a charity drive asking customers to donate food in order to help ... their store's employees. Yes, they were begging their customers for food for their staff.

You can pretty easily see what the Pope is getting at with his recent exhortation that we do something about "the new tyranny" that is "unfettered capitalism".

Clearly, when big, successful businesses are paying such low wages that they find it necessary to ask for donations of food from customers in order to help out their employees, we have crossed the line between good economic management and social pathology.

"The six heirs to the Walmart retail fortune in the United States have a net worth greater than the bottom 40 per cent of the population."

:mad2:

clando

Post #5 by clando » December 2nd, 2013, 11:02 am

Yeah, I heard that the other day when the news was covering some of the recent Walmart protests. That's crazy!!!

Bill Bryan

Post #6 by Bill Bryan » December 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

According to Foghorn Math™, 40% of 315 million people is ... OK, where's mah pencil ... carry the four ... least common redenomination ... times some kinda pie ...

Whoa. That's 126 million people. :shock:

Six guys own more than 126 million people put together? Can that even possibly be true?
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #7 by 7rob7 » December 2nd, 2013, 3:24 pm

Only in America
    Can a guy from anywhere
    Go to sleep a pauper and wake up a millionaire

Only in America
    Can a kid without a cent
    Get a break and maybe grow up to be President

[center][bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1cvWTBK9zI[/bbvideo][/center]

John Thomas8

Post #8 by John Thomas8 » December 2nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

And just think: that's not enough for those skeezes. They want more. And taxpayers are left footing the bill for the nastily-low wages they pay.

StayPuft

Post #9 by StayPuft » December 10th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Where individual productivity stops having an immediate material reward, capitalism will fail. LABOR should be the secular God.

These graphs show that in America, hard work can only get you so far. The effect that realization can have on individual productivity could be catastrophic. America's margin of error in a global market is treacherous ground.

We need to wage war against unproductive manipulation of money on two sides of the curve: both career freeloading and windfall profit. To attempt to do one or the other and not both is a political dog that won't hunt.

It's difficult to imagine income redistribution being politically possible without the outliers being equally challenged as corrupt.

I actually support a 15$ minimum wage. Never thought I'd say it, but since career freeloaders have a higher standard of living than a couple working full time making minimum wage, I think we should keep raising minimum wage until the career freeloaders are the poorest ones out there. That's pretty much half of Alabama and West Virginia, and basically ALL of Puerto Rico. People who have "back pain" and "depression" and "fibromyalgia", you know invisible diseases no one credibly test, people who are on permanent federal disability, collecting food stamps they sell for liquor, people who don't have to take a drug test to confirm they aren't buying crack with their disability check, people who sprint from the handicapped parking spot to get a pack of cigarettes from their local grocer.

They need to be redeemed through labor.
Liberty and natural resources are inversely proportional to population density.

The Oracle

Post #10 by The Oracle » December 11th, 2013, 2:27 pm

StayPuft wrote:
We need to wage war against unproductive manipulation of money on two sides of the curve: both career freeloading and windfall profit. To attempt to do one or the other and not both is a political dog that won't hunt.

It's difficult to imagine income redistribution being politically possible without the outliers being equally challenged as corrupt.

Excellent post.

My personal guess is that it will take a complete breakdown, Great Depression 2, to begin the fix.

clando

Post #11 by clando » December 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm

StayPuft

Post #12 by StayPuft » January 10th, 2014, 4:30 pm

If you saw someone get murdered, you'd relive the nightmare in your dreams, and be suspicious during the day.
If you saw a lady get raped, you'd be tainted by that, and would watch over the ladies in your life with a sharper
eye. If you saw someone crash into your neighbors car and get away, and the law didn't catch them, you might
waste money on an outdoor camera and time on checking the recording.

One cannot witness any crime without being influenced by it. We are, in part, products of our experiences.
Crimes either depress us into paranoia and defense, or embolden us to mimic the crime for the same personal gain,
or inspire us to combat those criminals with forward action. In any case, we become something new, and that
change is sometimes, but not always a choice. Sometimes, to experience/observe a crime logically and
philosophically redefines for us what our path in life really ought to be.

Not everyone taking a government entitlement benefit is a freeloader, I get that. And I ain't into judging the poor neither.

But I am into judging government employees. And it is their responsibility to judge whether or not someone can find a
job or not, whether or not someone is disabled or not.

They get it wrong enough that those who see this mistakes are distraught by it, demotivated by it, incited to engage
in tax evasion because of it, cursed by it, detached from society by it, made unAmerican by the sight of it, and sometimes
criminalized by it.

Do people litter more in a pristine untouched place, or in a place already covered in trash? The answer is known to you,
they repeat petty crimes where they believe they go unenforced. Litterbugs have no conscience in the ghetto. Looters
go into a greedy frenzy when there is a herd of them acting in unison. The borderline freeloader loses his and her conscience
too, when "everyone is doing it". (See Alabama)

We know when someone is jobless and has no intention of working. We know when someone's entitlement has reached
the point of total government dependency. We know when someone has contempt for the hand that feeds them. And
we are powerless to stop it. Being powerless while witnessing that crime changes who we are. CHANGES WHO WE ARE.

Only one of the parties excuses that change, calls it trifling, ignores it as inconsequential.

The fact they do, creates Republicans out of thin air. The creation of disillusioned secular fiscally conservative Republicans
results in Republican victories, and Republican victories result in the destruction of individual liberty.

Therefore, the disregard for entitlement fraud of Democrats indirectly results in the loss of individual liberty for lots of innocent
people, not to mention loss of purpose, productivity, profit, and the pursuit of happiness. Slippery slope, yes.

Your picture post is absolutely valid, but not more valid than mine.
Liberty and natural resources are inversely proportional to population density.

7rob7

Post #13 by 7rob7 » January 20th, 2014, 9:35 am

[center]World's 85 richest own 46% of global wealth[/center]
Research conducted by the British charity Oxfam has concluded that the combined wealth of the world's 85 richest people is equivalent to that owned by the bottom half - in wealth terms -of the world's population.

The report, titled "Working for the Few," claims that the 1% richest people on the planet are rich to the tune of $110 trillion.

"This capture of opportunities by the rich at the expense of the poor and middle classes has helped create a situation where seven out of every ten people in the world live in countries where inequality has increased since the 1980s and one per cent of the world's families now own 46% of its wealth ($110 trillion), Oxfam said in a statement announcing the study, published in time for this week's annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.

The WEF has identified income inequality as one of the greatest risks facing the world in 2014.

Return to “Economy”