9 days till Bibi annihilates the Persians.

Porque

9 days till Bibi annihilates the Persians.

Post #1 by Porque » October 29th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Should we give a shit?

The nuclear talks between Iran and Western powers that got under way in Geneva this month were about centrifuges, yellowcake and enriched uranium — all elements of what Iran calls a peaceful nuclear-energy program and what the West worries is a route to a nuclear weapon.

But Iran has also charted a second route, one that could produce fuel for a possible bomb not from highly enriched uranium but out of plutonium, a product of the heavy-water reactor nearing completion in the hills outside the city of Arak, 300 km (190 miles) southwest of Tehran. Heavy water is water with an extra neutron, useful in moderating a nuclear reaction.

Because it is not yet up and running, the Arak heavy-water reactor has remained in the background of the nuclear controversy. But it looms larger every day.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/10/29/if-ira ... z2jA8HrDZA

Where's Secretary Ketchup when we need him?

Porque

Re: 14 days till Bibi annihilates the Persians.

Post #2 by Porque » October 29th, 2013, 9:09 pm

To quote El Ronaldo, "Secretary Ketchup is a vegetable".

John Thomas8

Post #3 by John Thomas8 » October 29th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Israel going of quarter-cocked and killing millions of Iranians will be a rather bad thing.....for the rest of humanity. He should probably not start the end of modern civilization.

Porque

Post #4 by Porque » October 29th, 2013, 9:26 pm

In my heart, I have to agree with you John. But Bibi's got his own agenda. He believes the muzzies hate him and his people.
I'm sure you can see his position.

If we have to eat a little nuclear waste, well maybe that's the price of civilization. :hug:

John Thomas8

Post #5 by John Thomas8 » October 29th, 2013, 9:51 pm

No, I don't see his position. His government plays badly with others, has the only nuclear weapons in the region not on US or Russians ships and that same government is populated with high-functioning sociopaths.

Not good for anybody.

Porque

Post #6 by Porque » October 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

By 'see his position' I certainly didn't mean agree with, I meant only that you must understand from whence he comes.

John Thomas8

Post #7 by John Thomas8 » October 29th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I try not to bend my brain that hard, knowing you're watching a functioning sociopath is enough to gauge its behaviour.

Just a friendly recommendation here: The Lounge Section here is for entertainment purposes: funny stuff, being sociable, etc. Threads like this one and the Martin one should probably go in sections more appropriate for their content: Foreign Policy and Social Issues come to mind.

Not telling you how to post mind you, you can post what and where you want but to be fair to other users, especially as the user base grows, slotting threads in the correct section will benefit everybody in the long run.

The Oracle

Post #8 by The Oracle » October 30th, 2013, 7:40 am

:yeah:

Bill Bryan

Post #9 by Bill Bryan » October 30th, 2013, 9:45 am

Moved the topic to General Politics --► World.

So, umm ... yeah. Do you honestly think that Israel is going to drop an atomic bomb on Iran, acting on its own without any kind of international agreement, Porque?

Sounds a little far-fetched to me.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Post #10 by John Thomas8 » October 30th, 2013, 9:59 am

Foggy wrote:Moved the topic to General Politics --► World.

So, umm ... yeah. Do you honestly think that Israel is going to drop an atomic bomb on Iran, acting on its own without any kind of international agreement, Porque?

It's not, though. It's not nearly as far-fetched as the world needs it to be.

Porque

Post #11 by Porque » October 30th, 2013, 11:55 am

I have no clue as to the weapons he'll use, but I do know the man is talking 'red lines' and days remaining.

Sorry guys about the misplacement. I will remember, lounge = fun; serious stuff goes elsewhere.

JeffDeWitt

Post #12 by JeffDeWitt » October 30th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Sounds kind of far fetched to me too, but I've also no doubt that if Israel really believes that Iran is about to nuke them (as Iran has repeatedly said it would like to do) that Israel will strike first in an attempt to prevent Iran's attack.

Bill Bryan

Re: 13 days till Bibi annihilates the Persians.

Post #13 by Bill Bryan » October 30th, 2013, 3:36 pm

That sounds to me like the end of American support for Israel, unless our whole intelligence structure agrees that Bibi did what was really, truly necessary.

Boy, if people think Obama is treating Israel unfairly now, just wait.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

JeffDeWitt

Post #14 by JeffDeWitt » October 30th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Foggy wrote:That sounds to me like the end of American support for Israel, unless our whole intelligence structure agrees that Bibi did what was really, truly necessary.

Boy, if people think Obama is treating Israel unfairly now, just wait.

If it comes down to nuking Iran or getting nuked do you REALLY think the Israelis will care what OBAMA thinks?!?

John Thomas8

Post #15 by John Thomas8 » October 30th, 2013, 4:09 pm

The only country in the region with the ability to "nuke" anything is Israel. And there's no reason to believe they won't use it unprovoked.

JeffDeWitt

Post #16 by JeffDeWitt » October 30th, 2013, 4:42 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:The only country in the region with the ability to "nuke" anything is Israel. And there's no reason to believe they won't use it unprovoked.

Today that's true, no one else has these weapons for now, however I don't think there is any way Israel would use those weapons unless they felt their backs were truly against the wall and they had no better options.

You can say a lot of things about the Israelis but they AREN'T stupid.

John Thomas8

Post #17 by John Thomas8 » October 30th, 2013, 4:50 pm

The leadership of the ruling party in Israel are functioning sociopaths. Nothing is beyond their ability to do, especially mass murder. They're doing it now on the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Iran isn't that far away.

Bill Bryan

Post #18 by Bill Bryan » October 30th, 2013, 4:52 pm

JeffDeWitt wrote:If it comes down to nuking Iran or getting nuked do you REALLY think the Israelis will care what OBAMA thinks?!?

Hell yes they care what Obama thinks, because they care what the US government thinks, and he's the chief exec.

Especially since he just kicked the Tea Party's ass on the shutdown and the debt ceiling, he's at the peak of his power right now. I know you don't have a realistic opinion of the man, but the Israelis know they can't afford to piss him off. We're still their only ally on the planet. If Israel nukes Iran and our intelligence community tells him that it was totally unnecessary and killed a lot of innocent civilians, you can kiss that "ally" crap goodbye.
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #19 by 7rob7 » October 30th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Plus all that money we give them, too…

Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $118 billion (current, or non-inflation-adjusted, dollars) in bilateral assistance. Almost all U.S. bilateral aid to Israel is in the form of military assistance, although in the past Israel also received significant economic assistance. Strong congressional support for Israel has resulted in Israel receiving benefits not available to any other countries; for example, Israel can use some U.S. military assistance both for research and development in the United States and for military purchases from Israeli manufacturers. In addition, U.S. assistance earmarked for Israel is generally delivered in the first 30 days of the fiscal year, while most other recipients normally receive aid in installments. In addition to receiving U.S. State Department- administered foreign assistance, Israel also receives funds from annual defense appropriations bills for rocket and missile defense programs. Israel pursues some of those programs jointly with the United States.

In 2007, the Bush Administration and the Israeli government agreed to a 10-year, $30 billion military aid package spanning from Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 to Fiscal Year 2018. During his March 2013 visit to Israel, President Obama pledged that the United States would continue to provide Israel with multi-year commitments of military aid subject to the approval of Congress. P.L. 113- 6, the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 (informally referred to as the full-year Continuing Resolution or CR) provides the full FY2013 Administration request for Israel of $3.1 billion in FMF, of which Israel is permitted $815.3 million in Off-Shore Procurement. The Act also provides for $479.736 million in joint U.S.-Israeli missile defense programs, including $211 million for Iron Dome, $149.679 million for David’s Sling, $74.692 million for Arrow III, and $44.365 million for Arrow II.

For FY2014, the Administration is requesting $3.1 billion in FMF to Israel and $15 million in Migration and Refugee Assistance. The Missile Defense Agency’s FY2014 request for Israeli Cooperative Programs is $95.782 million, including $52.607 million for Arrow III, $32.512 million for David’s Sling, and $10.663 million for Arrow II. The Department of Defense also is requesting $220 million in FY2014 Procurement, Defense-wide funds for Iron Dome.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Return to “World”