Coffee with a Cop - Raleigh

mariaporter

Coffee with a Cop - Raleigh

Post #1 by mariaporter » April 29th, 2015, 10:29 am

RPD started a "Coffee with a Cop" program where they visit area communities and you can have a cup of coffee and casually chat with police officers. I went to the one in my community today. While overall, it's a step in repairing cops image, I can't say I was thoroughly pleased with the conversation I had with them. I was concerned about creating a culture of fear and the arrests/convictions of children under the age of 18 for petty crimes with no victim. One cop in particular was defensive and told me that "a 16 year old could hurt you - they are STRONG". Not sure what this has to do with anything, but I reiterated my statement about creating a culture of fear and that I did not fear Raleigh's youth. In fact, most of my interactions with teens have been positive. I was then stared at like I was from another planet.

I'm not sure why they were so hell bent on making me afraid of teenagers.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

Porque

Re: Coffee with a Cop - Raleigh

Post #2 by Porque » April 29th, 2015, 10:52 am

I can only guess, perhaps they want to create a culture of fear in teens - as some sort of crime de-motivator.

As for causing the general public to fear teens, I can't see the profit in that.

Return to “The Triangle”