The Triangle Simulation Society Presents Southern Front 2012

John Thomas8

The Triangle Simulation Society Presents Southern Front 2012

Post #1 by John Thomas8 » October 9th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Three days of miniature war gaming 12-14 October, fun for everyone. Details here.

Bill Bryan

Re: The Triangle Simulation Society Presents Southern Front

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » October 11th, 2012, 6:51 am

Questions, I haz one:

Non-playing family and children under 13 are not charged admission and do not need to be registered.

This means I can take my boys and just look at all the exhibits free, yesno?
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Post #3 by John Thomas8 » October 11th, 2012, 10:24 am

Absolutely, come on by and check out the games. There are some really talented folks that make the figures, paint the figures, create terrain from scratch and design games that are really entertaining. Also, there's going to be 18-20 local and distant vendors in attendance that will happily sell you the raw materials to make just about everything you see.

John Thomas8

Post #4 by John Thomas8 » October 14th, 2012, 9:54 pm

I ran a Civil War game using TooFatLardies They Couldn't Hit An Elephant rules. It was the 1st battle of Kernstown, VA, fought on 23 Mar 1862. Pics from the game are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8587334@N0 ... 763479750/

History shows that Stonewall Jackson's first battle as an independent commander was less than stellar. It also shows that the Union command structure above the division level was a maddening combination of political dandies and outright morons.

There was a whole bunch of eye candy, museum-quality paint jobs on figures and game terrain, vendors galore with great deals to grab your eye and empty your wallet.

clando

Post #5 by clando » October 15th, 2012, 11:42 am

I apologize, but for the life of me I can't figure how these games work. You don't have to get to detailed in the explanation, but it look like in your photos you had dice. Is it sort of like Risk where you role dice to determine attack/defense?

The Oracle

Post #6 by The Oracle » October 15th, 2012, 12:28 pm

I believe it's very close to actual simulation. Where men on foot can only move x distance. So you have a tape measure and actually measure out distances. X being the maximum. anything less would be OK.

Horses X distance. Arrows flying X distance. Then during encounters; you use probability dies and a chart?

That's how the US Navy did actual simulations against Japan and others before computers.

John Thomas8

Post #7 by John Thomas8 » October 15th, 2012, 12:52 pm

That's how the US Navy did actual simulations against Japan and others before computers.

Militaries around the world use "Kriegsspiel" games to simulate battle tactics and strategies for staff training purposes. They have a long and interesting history, starting in 1812:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_%28wargame%29

And you are correct about the gaming mechanisms. Ruleset writers take historical army behaviours and translate them into rules that restrict/dictate how various infantry, cavalry, and artillery can act on the board.

Jack Scruby has a long history in the hobby, and here's his simple rules for fighting armies armed primarily with muzzle-loading weapons:

http://www.historifigs.com/wargamers_co ... _rules.htm

They can get as complex as you want (Advanced Squad Leader for giving orders directly to individual soldiers) to as simple as possible (the above listed Scruby Rules for running entire divisions). My personal favourite rule set writers are a pair of British guys, Richard Clarke and Nick Skinner, running their company Too Fat Lardies. Their rules cover history from about 450 AD (post-Roman Britain) to adaptations to play the late 60s/early 70s Arab-Israeli Wars. But there are a wide variety of authors that appeal to a wide audience.

There are two significant parts to the hobby: researching the armies in question to get uniforms and organizations correct and collecting and painting the figures required to play the games. Figure sizes range from 2mm (yes, that small) to about 54mm (yes, that big), with 6mm, 15mm and 25/28mm being the most prevalent sizes in use.

John Thomas8

Post #8 by John Thomas8 » October 15th, 2012, 1:07 pm

I'm not this obsessive (I have less than 10,000 painted and unpainted figures) but this is pretty awesome:

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqLoLKlbVuU[/bbvideo]

John Thomas8

Post #9 by John Thomas8 » October 15th, 2012, 6:27 pm

If you're in the area, I'm running a game at Desert Dunes Comics and Games in Fuquay (in the wally world shopping center) on Thursday, starting between 4 and 5pm. Far Western Theatre of the Civil War, Union vs a force of Confederates/Comanche Indians.

I'm working on setting up a game at the Game Connection in Knightdale next week, Brits vs Germans in WWII.

Bill Bryan

Post #10 by Bill Bryan » October 16th, 2012, 7:19 am

We got there too late, apparently. Spent all last week moving the boys into separate bedrooms (they were on vacation and did a lot of work). Told them we'd go there as a reward for all the work. We arrived at the N. Raleigh Hilton at 12:20 on Sunday, and there weren't but two simulations set up, and one of them was in the process of being packed up. Very disappointing.

I'll try to make it to Desert Dunes. Early voting starts on Thursday, and I'm booked until 1 p.m. and then pick up boys at 3. But no reason we couldn't drive to Fuquay by 4 p.m., unless Wifehorn has something I don't know about ... :-
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Post #11 by John Thomas8 » October 16th, 2012, 10:58 am

Neat, thanks.

Ya, Sundays wrap up for Southern Front (TSS has been running SF for over 30 years in one local hotel or the other) in time to allow time for hotel checkout (noon) or locals to get home for football. For Spring Fever (the April convention) Sunday's slide out a wee bit farther.

John Thomas8

Post #12 by John Thomas8 » October 19th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Fortunately Foggy didn't make the trip yesterday as I had an unexpected incident with a State Fair polish sausage and was unable to run the game.

I'm going to try it next Thursday and a fellow is running a Zombie game at the same location on Tuesday.

Return to “The Triangle”