Veteran shocked after he says man accused him of being fraud

optimusprime

Veteran shocked after he says man accused him of being fraud

Post #1 by optimusprime » November 21st, 2015, 8:57 am

I wonder if this will make it to youtube?

GASTONIA, N.C. -

A Marine and Vietnam veteran says he was shocked after he says a man at the airport in Charlotte accused him of faking his military honors.

Multiple media outlets reported that 66-year-old Jack Hughes of Gastonia said he was at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport last weekend when the man approached him, insisting that he was an impostor.

Hughes was wearing his suit jacket with medals and ribbons. The purple heart recipient says the man had a camera and was with a group of friends.

Hughes says he tried to prove his military duty by showing his VA identification card.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Re: Veteran shocked after he says man accused him of being fraud

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » November 21st, 2015, 9:23 am

Just curious, and not excusing the behavior of the guy with the camera, but why is a 66 yr. old retired vet wearing his medals and ribbons in the airport? I know what he was doing was legal, but it just seems a little weird to me.

My dad is 87 now. He's intensely proud of his service to this great nation. He has annual reunions with his shipmates and classmates. He follows politics assiduously and is always up to date with what happens in the military, especially now that he has a granddaughter who is a Navy officer serving at sea. He's extremely patriotic, and thus, of course, an Obama fan. After a lifetime as a Republican, he voted for Obama in '08 and '12.

He could wear medals and ribbons. He could wear several different ball caps with the names of ships on which he served. He could wear Navy gear everywhere he goes. He can still fit in his uniform, and could wear it to various occasions. But he does none of that. He's quietly proud of his service, but he doesn't need to display it for the world to see. The same goes for all his friends from the Navy. If you're just some shlub in the Charlotte airport, he doesn't really care whether you know he's a vet. He expects to be treated with respect and dignity, just for being an American.

Again, I am not making excuses for the jerk who confronted Jack Hughes. But I do wonder why Hughes was wearing medals and ribbons in public.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

optimusprime

Re: Veteran shocked after he says man accused him of being fraud

Post #3 by optimusprime » November 21st, 2015, 9:56 am

It is only my direct observation that many Vietnam Vets who did not get any recognition tend to wear their awards on their clothing, hats and display them on their cars or flags flown in the yard.

We don't know where Jack was coming from...a reunion...a Purple Heart Convention...a funeral...a DAV event...or, he just plainly and overtly wanted to wear what he earned. Personally, I have a Purple Heart pin that I display on my black suits (or any suit that I am wearing to a military funeral of a comrade). The only other pin that I wear is my "Soldier For Life" Army pin. Yes, I have a Purple Heart, but I live with the scars of that engagement, and care not to have the "tell me about that medal" moment.

My father is a Vietnam Vet and he only wears his ribbons (if you look at Jack's picture, the ribbons are on the right) on his DAV or VFW hat. He displays them only at home and does not care if others are displaying theirs. He is consulted by other Marines who forgot the proper order and scoffs at my suggestion of the various apps that make this task easy-peasy.

So, while the guys in the airport were not totally wrong (their motivation just to prove him false, however, without learning from how and why he earned those medals, is IMO not needed...this guy earned them. They should have taken the opportunity to learn from him some life lessons that today's app army world would never experience. I know that would have been my course of action. He would have vetted himself in due time and THEN one can expose him as a perp of "Stolen Valor".

Return to “Military”