Jets release Tim Tebow

clando

Jets release Tim Tebow

Post #1 by clando » April 29th, 2013, 9:19 am

espn wrote:Jets release Tim Tebow

One year after bringing Tim Tebow to Broadway, creating a nationwide fascination that slowly evolved into a salacious controversy, the New York Jets made the long-anticipated move Monday of releasing one of the NFL's most popular players.

The team's plan always was to take no more than five quarterbacks into their organized team activities. When no other team offered even a seventh-round draft pick for Tebow by the conclusion of the NFL draft on Saturday, the decision was imminent, sources said.

Tebow attended the first two weeks of the offseason program. In fact, he reported 12 pounds under his 2012 playing weight. Despite vague comments by team officials, they never had any intention of retaining him.

The final Tebow bill: It cost the Jets a fourth-round pick and $1.5 million in salary, plus another $2.5 million they had to pay the Denver Broncos to satisfy part of the trade agreement.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9222870/new-york-jets-cut-tim-tebow
While I've never been a huge Tebow fan, the Jets really screwed him. I wish Tebow the best of luck and hope he gets picked up by a team that will at least give him a chance.

Everyone is so caught up with his mechanics, that they overlook the fact that he is a winner. Do you want perfect mechanics or do you want someone who wins? (see David Carr) It's amazing how many bad teams in this league have QB's that can't perform under pressure and yet all these teams won't give Tebow a chance. While at Denver he won 6 straight games when he took over starting QB, that as many or more wins than TEN teams in the NFL had last season...total.

John Thomas8

Re: Jets release Tim Tebow

Post #2 by John Thomas8 » April 29th, 2013, 11:41 am

The Jets owner signed Timmah! for the sole reason to generate buzz about a mediocre team in a monster media market. The football people in the organization wanted Tebow like they wanted Stage 4 brain cancer.

The fact is the boy can't play the farkin' position at the NFL level. That run was fueled by: an extremely crappy schedule and a Top Three defense. They caught the Steelers with a one-legged QB and their 2nd best DB not able to make the trip to Mile High.

If he's gonna play another down in the NFL, he'll either pick another position and commit to it or another owner moron will sign him to "just win".

clando

Post #3 by clando » April 29th, 2013, 1:31 pm

The fact is the boy can't play the farkin' position at the NFL level.
Is he the prototype NFL QB? No! The fact is he has an 8-6 career starting record demonstrates that he can play the position. I don't think he necessarily plays the position well, but you can't tell me Mark Sanchez was exactly excelling last season. Did you look at his statistics last season? Sanchez had a 66.9 QB rating last year. In 7 of his 15 starts he didn't even throw for 150 yrds. As bad as Tebow might be, he is better or as good as butt fumble boy.

I don't think that Tebow will ever be a great or even necessarily a good QB in the NFL. If he is going to fail I would like to see him fail on the field trying, not sitting on the bench being mismanaged and misused by incompetent management and coaches. It's ridiculous that NY was more willing to go 6-10 last season then give Tebow a chance to play.

John Thomas8

Post #4 by John Thomas8 » April 29th, 2013, 7:37 pm

The Jets shouldn't have drafted Mr. GQ any more than they should have traded for Tebow. The Jets would have been the same lame, vaguely NFL-like disaster if Joe Willy at his prime was starting.

I'll stick with my opinion: Denver made the playoffs almost solely on their defense; that if the Broncos had played an AFC North schedule rather than an AFC West schedule they would have gone 2-13 and had playoff game watching parties instead of being in the playoffs.

East of Here

Post #5 by East of Here » April 29th, 2013, 9:22 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:The Jets shouldn't have drafted Mr. GQ any more than they should have traded for Tebow. The Jets would have been the same lame, vaguely NFL-like disaster if Joe Willy at his prime was starting.

I'll stick with my opinion: Denver made the playoffs almost solely on their defense; that if the Broncos had played an AFC North schedule rather than an AFC West schedule they would have gone 2-13 and had playoff game watching parties instead of being in the playoffs.

Yep.

John Thomas8

Post #6 by John Thomas8 » May 6th, 2013, 7:36 pm

By choreographing hours of mind-numbingly asinine debate over Tim Tebow and Jason Collins, "ESPN has figured out how to be Fox News and MSNBC simultaneously. It's genius, really"

Return to “Pro Sports”