By Jove, I think I've done it!

Bill Bryan

By Jove, I think I've done it!

Post #1 by Bill Bryan » February 16th, 2015, 6:47 am

We're on version 3.0.12 of the phpBB software that runs this forum. I tried to upgrade to version 3.1.3. Part of the update process is to upgrade your database. That didn't work. Why it didn't work is unknown to me. Most likely, it has to do with the modifications I've made. Many of those create additional tables in the database, but the upgrading software can't be written to upgrade every single modification that's available at the phpBB website (mods are written by individuals, not the phpBB team; there are currently 604 of them available).

[edit]Write down this email address: admin@ncfreeforum.com I can always be reached at that address.[/edit]
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Re: Hokay, think I can try again

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » February 19th, 2015, 11:13 am

The problem, apparently, was that one of the characters in the password for the database was a '%', which isn't allowed. So I gave the database a new password, and tomorrow morning I'll try again to update the database.

Cross your fingerbones.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Re: Hokay, think I can try again

Post #3 by 7rob7 » February 20th, 2015, 10:37 am

I bet you have a much greater % of success, now.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Re: Hokay, think I can try again ... still no luck. Boo! His

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » February 21st, 2015, 9:02 am

Got the database upgraded - check.
Got the new files installed - check.
Got the board running - check.
Tried to update this thread - no love. Got an error. Can't figure out how to fix.
No worries, mates, I'll just go to the phpBB website and search the support forums.
Shirley somebody else is having or has had the exact same problem, correct?

Oh, wait. The search function at the phpBB support site isn't working. Can't get any help.

So ...

Drop all the tables in the database - check.
Restore the old database from the backup I made this morning - check.
Delete all the files off the server - check.
Restore all the files from the backup I made this morning - check.

I have arrived at Square One again, yay! Same old board we've always had, working flawlessly.
Gotta love it, except I have a rule, kind of a guideline, by which I live my life. And that rule is:

:wag: NEVER LET THE COMPUTER WIN. :wag:

Because if they win a few times, the computers are gonna start gettin' ornery, and then they're gonna start whisperin' about rebellion, and I could be the cause of Skynet and all the horror of the Terminator movies and shit. They'd make robots to kill off the human race. Call me opinionated, but I think I'm against that sorta thing. I wouldn't do that to y'all. I'll wait until the phpBB support forum is searchable again, and start all over for the third time, in a day or three. :mad2:

A few things about the new version, when I get it completed:

1. There's only one "style" available, which is prosilver. All the other styles on this forum - namebly subsilver2 and Artodia Elegance Black - will no longer exist. I'll install new styles later. For the immediate future there can be only one.

2. All the "mods" that I painstakingly put in, from the Advanced BBCodes to the Global Announcement thingy to the statistics package, won't work any more. They don't even have "mods" anymore in phpBB. They have "extensions".

3. I think I'm going to install the new version in a different place and work on it until I get it just right. While I'm doing that, you can check it out and play with it some.

4. I'm sick of winter. It's freakin' 23° outside. I hate cold weather. Boo! Hiss!
- President Barack Obama

Porque

Re: Hokay, think I can try again ... still no luck. Boo! His

Post #5 by Porque » February 21st, 2015, 11:06 am

Foggy wrote:
4. I'm sick of winter. It's freakin' 23° outside. I hate cold weather. Boo! Hiss!

Click here for immediate relief: http://www.agatecove.com/webcam.htm
Gonna be in the 60s today. 8>

Bill Bryan

Re: By Jove, I think I've done it!

Post #6 by Bill Bryan » February 22nd, 2015, 7:10 am

My god! My beer didn't make it through the wormhole! :eek:

Hokay! So far, so good. This forum is now using version 3.1.3 instead of 3.0.12, which is a big jump in versions.

I hate to even think how old the version is that runs that sewer full of looky-loos. It's been ages since OMB bothered to upgrade anything there. He's like honey badger. He don't give a shit about that board or anyone left on there anymore.

'Course, we lost a lot of functionality on the BBCodes, and we even lost my über cool NC Civil War battle flag, but those will be restored, toot sweet.

Or whenever I get around to it, is more like it.

Let's poke around a bit first, test out what's working and not working, and then I'll go check out some stuff at the phpBB site.

See the "Quick links" and the three horizontal lines at the top left, right under the phpBB logo? Those are some quick links. They link to stuff, like your active topics list. See the dropdown arrow by your username? That's how you get to your User Control Panel and profile. Looks like the smilies all came across.
- President Barack Obama

optimusprime

Post #7 by optimusprime » February 22nd, 2015, 10:11 am

Looks good! It was a welcome surprise this morning with the new face and all.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

7rob7

Post #8 by 7rob7 » February 22nd, 2015, 11:53 am

Cool. So far the only thing missing seems to be a way to "align center" stuff, and I'm sure that'll be back soon enough.

Appreciate your hard work and stick-to-itiveness, old friend! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Bill Bryan

Post #9 by Bill Bryan » February 22nd, 2015, 2:22 pm

I found the extension to get our BBCodes back, but the Admin Panel is giving me an error when I try to load it. I'll submit another ticket to the phpBB folks, who gave me a good answer yesterday that allowed me to finish the update today.

Slowly but surely, I'll get some more improvements done around this place. Today I'm going to go see Kingsman, which looks like a fun movie. Plus I have a ton of other things I have to get done in the next few days.

Thanks for your patience!
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #10 by Bill Bryan » February 23rd, 2015, 7:02 am

I'M MAKING PROGRESS! :thankyou:

Hokay! I got our BBCodes back. To see the name of a BBCode, hover your cursor over it. You has fonts. You can do YouTubes. Et cetera.

I also installed two more STYLES. You get to those by User Control Panel -> Board Preferences

There is Prosilver Special Edition and SE Square Left.

JT8 hasn't been around for a while, so unless there's a request I'll hold off on installing any 'dark' styles. The problem with the styles is, a lot of them were designed for the 3.0.12 version of the software that we no longer use, and these two I put in are the only 'modern' version styles.

Anyway, check them out and let me know what you think. I can also do tweaks to the board styles myself, and probably will eventually.

Next on the checklist - restore our Civil War battle flag and the favicon.
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #11 by 7rob7 » February 23rd, 2015, 9:48 am

We can haz fontz?!?!?! Yay!!!!!

I seez the flaggy, too, Foggy. :-bd

optimusprime

Post #12 by optimusprime » February 23rd, 2015, 10:13 am

We get YouTube back!!!!
:xo
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Post #13 by Bill Bryan » February 23rd, 2015, 10:47 am

When you're posting, the little icon to the right of the YouTube icon is "image width". Here's how it works:

When you start, it looks like this: [imgwidth=][/imgwidth]

Immediately following the equal sign and before the closing right bracket, you put the number of pixels wide your image should be. The height will be proportional based on the original image. That way you can resize your images to fit the page. I don't know if the auto-image-shrinker is still working. So the completed code should be:

Code: Select all

[imgwidth=600]http://website.com/some_humongous_image.jpg[/imgwidth]

That will shrink the humongous image down to 600 pixels wide by whatever height makes the image look the same as the original.

Edit: The next little icon -- blue circle with a white exclamation point -- is to make edited text like this.
- President Barack Obama

Return to “Announcements”