Clando goes West...Northwest

clando

Clando goes West...Northwest

Post #1 by clando » March 2nd, 2015, 3:55 pm

Well after almost a decade in Baltimore, the family will be moving out to Portland, OR. The beautiful, smart, amazing wife has accepted a job out there. It looks like I will now have the change to be the beard growing, hipster, stay at home dad I always wanted to be. \:D/

Here is a list of some of the changes...

East Coast to West Coast
Mid-Atlantic to Northwest
Charm City to Rose City
Under Armour to Nike
Terrapins to Ducks
The Wire to Portlandia

Let me know if you have any other good ones...I'm keeping a running list.

7rob7

Re: Clando goes West...Northwest

Post #2 by 7rob7 » March 2nd, 2015, 6:33 pm

Well, there's this...

Oregon’s Kate Brown Will Be the Nation’s First Openly Bisexual Governor
When Kate Brown, Oregon’s current secretary of state, becomes governor [last] Wednesday, she will be the nation’s first openly bisexual person — and second LGBT person after New Jersey’s Jim McGreevey, who came out as gay just before stepping down amid scandal in 2004 — to hold that office. Brown will take the place of current Gov. John Kitzhaber, who announced on [02/13] that he is resigning over corruption allegations involving his fiancée, Cylvia Hayes.

:D

Have a safe and sane move.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

optimusprime

Post #3 by optimusprime » March 2nd, 2015, 8:20 pm

Atlantic to Pacific
Hurricanes to Earthquakes
Micro-breweries to Ale
Cheap gas to !@#$%^&*()
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » March 3rd, 2015, 1:12 pm

Good for you, Clando. I hope you like rain. :lol:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Porque

Post #5 by Porque » March 3rd, 2015, 1:38 pm

I'll bet he's used to it by now.

I was surprised to see both Portland and Baltimore get about 40" every year. Portland's rain is unique tho, it just sort of hangs low and drizzles down for long periods. East Coast weather as I recall is more traditional - showers, storms, broken clouds, sunshine and the like.

Portland's an attractive city; I think they'll enjoy it.

clando

Post #6 by clando » March 9th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Thank you Porque! That was an interesting stat you found there, I've actually quoted you a few times with that stat as everyone tells me to enjoy the rain when I move out there.

All I have to say is the last three weeks we've had multiple snow storms in Baltimore and temperatures in the mid-teens while the weather in Portland was sunny and in the 60's. 60's in February...yeah I think I'll take that even if it's overcast a lot of the time.

Well still on the job hunt, I've actually done better than I would have expected in such a short time frame. We will have to see! I think the wife secretly doesn't want me to find a job right away so I have to take care of settling in everything.

clando

Post #7 by clando » June 17th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Now I've finally settled in out here in Portland I thought I would check in. Definitely enjoying things out here. Portland is a very nice city and so far the weather has been fantastic, though everyone keeps warning me to just wait until October.

I will say ironically that this city might be a little too liberal even for me. :D They actually voted to not fluoride the water. The real estate agent that showed us around went on and on about only believing in alternate medicine. It seems to be the cool thing to be homeless, there are a lot of young homeless here.

The hardest adjustment has been you aren't permitted to pump your own gas in Oregon. Almost makes we want to buy an electric car just so I don't have to deal with that. LOL

Porque

Post #8 by Porque » June 17th, 2015, 8:59 pm

It's my world-travelling, youngest son's favorite city, and he's CA born and raised so that speaks well for it.

You still in the business of medicine?

clando

Post #9 by clando » June 19th, 2015, 12:51 am

I'm going to miss the Raven's and Orioles, especially going to baseball games at Camden Yards. However as a soccer fan I'm glad to be able to adopt the Portland Timbers as my new team. Going to the game this Saturday.

Of course I'm still in the business of medicine. Wouldn't make any sense to get out after spending all that time in school. I actually love what I do and couldn't see doing anything else, so yes I'm still in the business.

Bill Bryan

Post #10 by Bill Bryan » June 26th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I went West, but I camed back. Been offline for more'n a couple weeks. Back soonest.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

optimusprime

Post #11 by optimusprime » June 26th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Welcome back
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Return to “Announcements”