Has Anyone Tried Duolingo?

John Thomas8

Has Anyone Tried Duolingo?

Post #1 by John Thomas8 » May 29th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Developed by the same person that created the "captcha" mechanism, it's a free language learning site, duolingo.com

I need to learn Indian (the country) because it'd help a lot with my job. It's not available (yet) but I'm going to give it a go just too see.

Bill Bryan

Re: Has Anyone Tried Duolingo?

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » May 30th, 2013, 7:10 am

I'm studying new languages too, John.

'Cept the ones I'm learning are PHP and JavaScript :lol: (also studying HTML5 and CSS3, but they aren't technically languages).

Just the other day I ran across this: [link]The Big List of 256 Languages,http://regulargeek.com/2012/12/08/the-big-list-of-256-programming-languages/[/link]
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

clando

Post #3 by clando » May 30th, 2013, 10:06 am

John Thomas8 wrote:I need to learn Indian (the country) because it'd help a lot with my job. It's not available (yet) but I'm going to give it a go just too see.
Learn Indian? Really John??? :D

Don't you mean Hindi? That is the predominate language of India. Just so you know there are 13 languages spoken in India with over 10 million speakers. So even if you learn Hindi, you could easily end up with someone that doesn't know how to speak it. My in-laws speak Bengali (2nd most predominate language) and can't speak Hindi at all.

John Thomas8

Post #4 by John Thomas8 » May 30th, 2013, 10:40 am

clando wrote:
John Thomas8 wrote:I need to learn Indian (the country) because it'd help a lot with my job. It's not available (yet) but I'm going to give it a go just too see.
Learn Indian? Really John??? :D

Don't you mean Hindi? That is the predominate language of India. Just so you know there are 13 languages spoken in India with over 10 million speakers. So even if you learn Hindi, you could easily end up with someone that doesn't know how to speak it. My in-laws speak Bengali (2nd most predominate language) and can't speak Hindi at all.

I had that pointed out to me elsewhere. I was blatantly unaware of that important fact, making the problem that much more intractable.

clando

Post #5 by clando » May 30th, 2013, 10:52 am

It's all good and pretty funny actually!!!!!

Bill Bryan

Post #6 by Bill Bryan » May 30th, 2013, 11:27 am

English is the official language of India, actually. Or used to be. But a lot of Indians don't speak it well. Hell, a lot of Americans don't speak it well. :lol:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Return to “Computers & Internet”