Movies You've Seen Recently

clando

Movies You've Seen Recently

Post #1 by clando » March 26th, 2013, 9:50 am

This thread is to discuss any movies you might have seen recently...

clando

Re: Movies Seen Recently

Post #2 by clando » March 26th, 2013, 9:53 am

I saw Olympus has Fallen this last weekend. A decent action movie, with some of the best one liners from an action movie in a long time. There are some definite plot issues and the movie is too reliant on CGI, which looks a little fake at time. But if you are interested in action its worth checking out.

Bill Bryan

Re: Movies You've Seen Recently

Post #3 by Bill Bryan » March 27th, 2013, 6:29 am

I will check that out. I've been looking for a good movie.

I thought Life of Pi was good; it was really close to the exact same story as the book, except for the girlfriend and his dad making him watch the tiger kill the goat.

'Course, they had to do a lot of that with CGI, too.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

pjhimself

Post #4 by pjhimself » July 28th, 2014, 4:45 pm

The Newburgh Sting (featured on HBO)

. Quote:
Much of what we see in “The Newburgh Sting,” directed by Kate Davis and David Heilbroner, was provided by the F.B.I. The directors make extensive use of government surveillance video shot during the year in which an informant, Shahed Hussain, presented the plot to the four Newburgh men, offered them $250,000 and supplied them with the weapons to carry it out. It’s also highly selective use, of course, leaving out the most inflammatory anti-American and anti-Jewish rhetoric of the lead suspect, James Cromitie. (He later disavowed those statements, saying they were part of his own con to convince Mr. Hussain of his terrorist bona fides.)

In a broader sense, though, the film builds a credible circumstantial case for the entrapment defense. It does so through the standard techniques of true-crime documentary: interviews with sympathetic, cogent relatives and acquaintances of the four men; an evocative depiction of life in a depressed Hudson River Valley town; the canny juxtaposition of just-folks black and Muslim Newburghers with a succession of suited, white law-enforcement officials, politicians and television talkers, often saying things we can see aren’t true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/arts/ ... .html?_r=

Did the producers "cherry pick" the film they used ? I don't know but probably.

Yet, there seems to be a compelling case to suggest the clowns involved (especially the FBI "informant") are more that than terrorists.

pjhimself

Post #5 by pjhimself » January 9th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Merchants of Doubt

A documentary that looks at pundits-for-hire who present themselves as scientific authorities as they speak about topics like toxic chemicals, pharmaceuticals and climate change.

pjhimself

Post #6 by pjhimself » January 24th, 2016, 8:37 pm

"History of the Eagles"

Being re-run on Showtime. A "must" for Eagles fans and the departed Glen Frey.

pjhimself

Post #7 by pjhimself » May 18th, 2016, 4:46 pm

The Secret History of ISIS: a tale of two presidents failure to stop terrorists

.Once Zarqawi and his successor, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, were permitted to thrive, their evil influence extended into the election of Barack Obama, who similarly declined to focus on the destruction of ISIS as a priority. That, at least, is the testimony of numerous CIA officials and operatives — most of them now former CIA — interviewed in the documentary. Even allowing for a certain amount of professional ax-grinding, the similarities and patterns of threats perceived, reported, and either ignored or botched lead to a highly engaging, depressing, and sometimes infuriating viewing experience. Placed in the context of the current political season, The Secret History of ISIS is not only useful on its own, but also an instructive warning about the kinds of leaders we need to continue the fight against terrorism

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/secret-history ... 52491.html

Return to “Entertainment”