The Butler

clando

The Butler

Post #1 by clando » August 15th, 2013, 4:39 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was reading a review of the movie and they mentioned this article. The article is about the actual butler Eugene Allen, the movie is loosely based on.
Washington Post wrote:A Butler Well Served by This Election

For more than three decades Eugene Allen worked in the White House, a black man unknown to the headlines. During some of those years, harsh segregation laws lay upon the land.

He trekked home every night, his wife, Helene, keeping him out of her kitchen.

At the White House, he worked closer to the dirty dishes than to the large desk in the Oval Office. Helene didn't care; she just beamed with pride.

President Truman called him Gene. President Ford liked to talk golf with him.

He saw eight presidential administrations come and go, often working six days a week. "I never missed a day of work," Allen says.

His is a story from the back pages of history. A figure in the tiniest of print. The man in the kitchen.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-11-07/politics/36906532_1_white-house-black-man-history

It's not the best written article as it wanders off topic and focuses on other people throughout history besides, Eugene but finds it way back to his story in the end. I highly suggest you to read the last page of the article, it contains hope and loss that I never saw coming from this article. I won't spoil it by posting the excerpt here.

optimusprime

Re: The Butler

Post #2 by optimusprime » August 15th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I plan to go and see the movie during the upcoming weekend. I also think I will take my mother to see it. I actually remember the butler who this movie is based upon. I read about him in either Ebony or Black Enterprise some years ago. I didn't know they'd done a movie about him. But his is an interesting story and certainly part of American History.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

Bill Bryan

Post #3 by Bill Bryan » August 16th, 2013, 6:53 am

OMG, those last few 'graphs.

Dusty in here this morning. :cry:

[edit]Shamelessly quoted in the movies thread over at Frogbrow - with attribution, of course.[/edit]
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

clando

Post #4 by clando » August 19th, 2013, 9:55 am

Yeah it was a little dusty in my office when I read it too. I think it gets you because you just don't see it coming.

Thank you, but you don't need to attribute anything if you take something from here over to TFB. It's not like I wrote the Washington Post article. You are more than welcome to post anything from here over there if you think it's relevant or a conversation starter.

Return to “Entertainment”