William Shatner, Adam West make history at Comic Con

optimusprime

William Shatner, Adam West make history at Comic Con

Post #1 by optimusprime » September 9th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Full story

It was "The Shat" and "The Bat" for the first time ever on a stage together Friday night at the Salt Lake Comic Con, and their presence was enough to make every geek’s brain in the room explode.

William Shatner, aka Capt. James T. Kirk from the original "Star Trek," and Adam West, who played the Caped Crusader in the 1960s cult television show "Batman," sat down for the history-making event at the Salt Palace Convention Center, swapping stories about their start in Hollywood and their individual journeys to become pop culture icons. The one-hour event, which cost conventiongoers an additional $50 to $500 per ticket, was held on the convention’s main stage and drew hundreds of fans.

The pair, who came up in television and then became icons at the same time in the 1960s, talked about the only project they’ve ever worked on together, a 1968 TV pilot of "Alexander the Great," which coincidentally was shot in St. George. Shatner was cast as Alexander the Great while West played General Cleander. The movie failed to become a TV series, but shortly after filming, Shatner got the call to do "Star Trek," and West was cast in "Batman."

"It was filled with half-naked men and half-naked ladies — at that time, it was considered very racy," Shatner remembered about the movie, also noting that it gave him the chance to ride horses, his biggest hobby.

Both spent the night trading barbs about their careers, also chatting about the nature of acting, growing old (Shatner is 82 and West is 84), and making jokes about Utah ("I have no pills and booze in me," West said proudly about staving off those Hollywood temptations. "I’m from Utah").

John Thomas8

Re: William Shatner, Adam West make history at Comic Con

Post #2 by John Thomas8 » September 9th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Argh, no video available yet.

Return to “Entertainment”