ObamaCare

Bill Bryan

ObamaCare

Post #1 by Bill Bryan » June 7th, 2013, 5:34 am

Been in school all week, getting a new license from the state ... got too many things to catch up on tomorrow. Also, today is my kids' last day of school until late July; weird school calendar.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Re: If You're Bored Saturday....

Post #2 by John Thomas8 » June 7th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Ok, I've seen that in multiple places now so I'll bite: what new and exciting endeavour are you undertaking that requires a license?

Bill Bryan

Post #3 by Bill Bryan » June 9th, 2013, 8:03 am

John Thomas8 wrote:Ok, I've seen that in multiple places now so I'll bite: what new and exciting endeavour are you undertaking that requires a license?

I'm going to make some money on ObamaCare. Beginning on Oct. 1, any small business with 50 or more employees is required to enroll its employees, or there's a big penalty. The only option is to reduce the size of the workforce or put every single employee on part-time (less than 30 hours a week). A few companies will cut their throats to spite the President, but most won't.

There are supposedly 200,000 people in NC alone who will need to be enrolled by Dec. 31, so there's a 90-day window. The health insurance carriers are supposedly paying $100 - 200 per person to help enroll them. This is Wifehorn's area of expertise, not mine, but I've agreed to work with her again for just those 90 days (and apparently there's another 90-day window in Oct. 2014).

She's got a team of people and the contacts to get us a lot of small businesses and churches. My job will be to show up at the work site with 10 or 15 computers and keep them all running and online. Both of us will then coach the employees how to enroll in their new health insurance. If we can do as few as 50 people in a day, we'll make $5,000 or more that day. If we can, we'll work 7 days a week and make a small fortune doing it.

But I need to be a licensed health insurance agent in order to help people enroll in health insurance. Which requires attending health insurance classes.

Here's the hilarious part: The state of North Carolina, being run by RWNJ morons at present, has not changed the state exam for health insurance agents to comport with ObamaCare. Not even a little tiny bit. They're still living in denial. I'd be in class and the guy would mention denying coverage for pre-existing conditions. I'd raise my hand and say, "That's already illegal for children, and will be illegal for adults in 2014."

"Yes, but I'm not teaching you what's legal. I'm teaching you how to pass the state exam." Oh, OK. My bad. #-o ?(

'Course, if they don't change the exam and health insurance agents across the state have no idea what the new law is, then ObamaCare will disappear, just as if by magic. Poof! =))

So anyway, first I'm going to pass the exam and get the license, and THEN I'm going to learn all the little details about ObamaCare that they didn't teach me. No sense crowding my brainbone with a lot of irrelevant nonsense that happens to be the actual law until after I get the ticket to play.

NOTE: There are a lot of "supposedlys" up above, because like I said, this is Wifehorn's area of expertise, not mine. I'll learn more over the next couple months. October is less than 4 months away.

Yesterday I went to Barnes & Noble and told them I wanted a book about ObamaCare that didn't have a lot of political screeching. Just the facts, ma'am. They gave me one called "ObamaCare Survival Guide". I glanced at it for a minute and got it. Took it home and read a chapter or two. Total crock of bullshit. Published, believe it or not, by NewsMax. Yes, that NewsMax. Book goes back for refund later this morning.

Apparently the electorate in this great land of ours still opposes ObamaCare by a slim margin. On the other hand, that same electorate was [link]asked by the Kaiser Foundation,http://www.pollingreport.com/health.htm[/link] if it was still law, and got the following answers:

• It's still enforceable law in this great land of ours: 59%
  • Supreme Court struck down that bad boy; it's OVER: 7%
  • Congress repealed it, hahaha Obama you loser: 12%
  • Uhh, I dunno. I just woke up in those bushes: 23%

Earthlings. I can watch 'em all day! :-bd
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Post #4 by John Thomas8 » June 9th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Wow.

Good luck with that, that's a great big ol' hunk of work.

clando

Post #5 by clando » June 10th, 2013, 12:14 am

Foggy, you sure about the number of people that are going to need to sign up for Obamacare in North Carolina? I'm not trying to damper your idea here, I'm just not sure it's going to be quite as lucrative and easy to do. Especially considering the geographic size of NC.

Forbes wrote:Is The Affordable Care Act Really Bad For Business?

Businesses With Fewer Than 50 Employees
The Affordable Care Act does not require businesses with fewer than 50 full-time employees to provide their employees with healthcare coverage. To put this into perspective, 96 percent of the businesses in the U.S. have fewer than 50 employees, which illustrates the improbability of the detrimental effects that some claim the Act will have on business.

Businesses With More Than 50 Employees
Businesses with more than 50 employees will be required under the Affordable Care Act to provide healthcare coverage to their employees. Let’s put this into perspective. Only 0.2 percent of the businesses in the U.S. with more than 50 employees do not already provide healthcare insurance to full-time employees.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2013/04/22/is-the-affordable-care-act-really-bad-for-business/

John Thomas8

Post #6 by John Thomas8 » June 10th, 2013, 12:44 am

I've met Mrs Foggy. I'd debate her only with google access and would love to have her on whatever company team I was on. If she's gone through the law and found an instance where small businesses need assistance, I'd be inclined to bet high and large there's a real need for the service.

Bill Bryan

Post #7 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 7:05 am

clando wrote:Foggy, you sure about the number of people that are going to need to sign up for Obamacare in North Carolina?

Uhh, didja miss the part where I explained all the "supposedlys"? No, I'm not sure about that number or about a lot of the plan. I'm sure I did get some things wrong.

Not only that, last night I told Wifehorn the one the teacher told me about how one option is to reduce the size of the workforce or put every single employee on part-time (less than 30 hours a week). He said that the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster (and 6 other restaurant chains) is going to put all its employees on 28 hours a week part time.

She burst out laughing.

Apparently, because of the assholes who bragged about doing exactly that, new regulations have been issued to the effect that they'll add up all your employees, divide by 30 hrs., and that's how many full time employees you'll be counted as having. So I have a lot to learn.

I did attend a meeting of franchise owners of Great Clips, the cheapo haircut chain, a month or so back. We listened to an attorney from Greensboro who is traveling around NC teaching businesses what they have to do to comply with ObamaCare. Among other things, he said the rules change every week, and every Friday he gets an update about that week's changes in the regulations. They're frantically trying to get ready for Oct. 1, too. These were franchise owners from all over the state -- the lady from Wilmington had four franchise haircut joints along the Eastern shore. Some of the owners had health insurance, but only for managers. They were all trying to figure out how they were going to comply with -- or evade -- the new laws and regulations. (Lawyers' motto: You tell me the rules, I'll tell you how to cheat.)

Maybe it's 200,000 people total -- not employees necessarily, but on Jan. 1 2014 the mandate kicks in, yesno? (I'm not even sure about that.) I do know she has a contact who is going to get a lot of black churches to sign up their congregations with us.

Anyway, the thread we were using is really about JT8's miniature wargaming hobby (which is very cool, even though it's not my hobby). One of the things I get to do as admin is move threadjacks to their own thread so we can discuss them further. So I started a new thread and moved these posts

Get back to me, Clando. I surely do need more edumacation on the subject. :oops: ?(
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Re: ObamaCare enrollment period, Oct. 1 to Dec. 31

Post #8 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 7:27 am

Upon further investigation (Wifehorn sleeping in 'cause our kids' summer vacation started Friday), it turns out that the Oct. to Dec. enrollment period is for individuals AND small businesses to enroll in the new Affordable Health Insurance Exchanges ("Exchanges").

Here's a summary of the rules (I think this might be accurate even though it's a blog; it's really hard to learn anything accurate about ObamaCare by googling because there are so many screeching drooling RWNJs writing about it):

[link]How will Enrollment in Health Insurance Exchanges Work?,http://www.mbaileygroup.com/blog/health-care-reform/how-will-enrollment-in-health-insurance-exchanges-work/[/link]

So anyway, I bet if you added up all the small businesses that need to enroll and all the individuals too, that might be 200,000. More will be revealed, I reckon.

[edit]Also, see the "Pay or Play?" widget on the right-hand sidebar on that page; it says "employers may also be subject to a penalty if they offer coverage that is unaffordable or does not provide minimum value." So there may be a number of businesses that offer health insurance today, but not with terms that are acceptable under the ACA.[/edit]

[edit]Healthcare.gov on small businesses and compliance: http://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/s ... index.html[/edit]
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #9 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 7:44 am

John Thomas8 wrote:I've met Mrs Foggy. I'd debate her only with google access and would love to have her on whatever company team I was on.

She is a force of nature, there's no doubt about that. We passed our 19th anniversary in April. I'm even starting to like her a little bit lately. :-bd

If women ever learned how to think like normal people, she'd be just about perfect! =))
- President Barack Obama

mariaporter

Post #10 by mariaporter » June 10th, 2013, 8:39 am

The rules change every week? Gee, I'm just feeling better and better about Obamacase everyday! :roll:

Also, I really don't get my everyone is referencing Olive Garden and Red Lobster as an example of a company bringing employees hours down - when I worked in restaurants there were already VERY FEW full-time employees with benefits. There is high turnover as these are usually temporary jobs for students or people who are between jobs. I certainly did not expect a benefits package for a part-time job since it's a large investment to make on behalf of an employee that may only be there for a few months.

Of course, the sweetest benefits package available IS for a part-time job. The benefits that congress critters get for life while doing barely anything at all is enough to make you sick.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

John Thomas8

Post #11 by John Thomas8 » June 10th, 2013, 10:36 am

Other 1st World countries don't tie their citizens to work-provided healthcare, which in turn lowers the per-employee cost to the employer.

clando

Post #12 by clando » June 10th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Foggy thanks for moving my post, this is definitely a much more appropriate thread discussion then JT8's miniature wargaming hobby thread.

Foggy wrote:Uhh, didja miss the part where I explained all the "supposedlys"? No, I'm not sure about that number or about a lot of the plan. I'm sure I did get some things wrong.
I guess I must have. :oops:

I'm not saying there isn't work out there for doing this, and there probably is some money to be made if you are coordinated. I just think some of the projections might be a little on the high side, as I pointed out with the Forbes article. It's not a very high percentage of employers effected by the law. You are probably going to spend more time trying to identify the employers that are going to need this service then actually signing people up. You are going to have lots of business that don't understand the law requirements and don't know they need to sign up or think they need to sign up and don't really need to.

There will be a lot of what you talk about "gaming the system" as the rules get further defined. The Forbes article I linked earlier even showed how the penalty is calculated.

Forbes wrote:For businesses with more than 50 full-time employees, the penalty for not providing your employees with any healthcare is $2,000 per year for each full-time employee minus 30. For example, AXZ Corp. has 60 employees and does not provide any health insurance to those employees. Using the formula above, we will take the number of employees at AXZ (60) and subtract 30 from that to arrive at 30. We will then multiply that 30 by $2,000, which equals $60,000. AXZ Corp. will pay a penalty of $60,000 per year for not providing its 60 employees with basic healthcare coverage. Furthermore, this penalty will increase each year according to the growth in insurance premiums.
I can assure you there will be some businesses doing the calculation on whether paying the penalty is more cost effective then providing insurance. For companies that are right on the 50 employee cut off it might actually be more cost effective with the subtract 30 rule to pay the fine.

I will say if you do enough work with this and become an expert on the subject, it should set you up for some good consulting work going forward. As the rules change and more businesses start qualifying for ACA there are going to be business that are going to look for guidance on what they need to do. Being an expert on a new topic like this could potentially be pretty lucrative as the exchanges get rolled out and start to take a larger effect over the next several years.

clando

Post #13 by clando » June 10th, 2013, 2:03 pm

mariaporter wrote:The rules change every week? Gee, I'm just feeling better and better about Obamacase everyday!
This is not unusual and is nothing specific to Obamacare.

The rules aren't actually "changing" every week as much as they are being further explained. Regulations are written rather vague, as the laws they are based on are usually even more vague, and you simply can't contemplate every scenario and application to a regulation. This typically leads to lots of people making their own interpretations of what the regulation means. This confusion leads to requests for further clarification. As people submit scenarios, agencies then provide further clarification of what is intended by the regulation, which are the update the lawyer was referring to. The "changes" part comes into play only as people have to account for any misinformation that has been distributed due to someones misinterpretation of the regulation.

We go through this with almost every CMS or Joint Commission rule that gets released. It took years for HIPAA to be properly explained, and even today I regularly run into people who don't adequately understand the regulation.

mariaporter wrote:The benefits that congress critters get for life while doing barely anything at all is enough to make you sick.
You can definitely argue whether congress critters "do anything", but they don't get special benefits. Congress gets the exact same benefit package as any other government employee. Your postman has the same benefit package as the Speaker of the House.

Bill Bryan

Post #14 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 2:56 pm

mariaporter wrote:... I really don't get why everyone is referencing Olive Garden and Red Lobster as an example of a company bringing employees hours down ...

Actually, maria, I ate at an Olive Garden in NC for the first time a few weeks back when I had lunch with a lady from my anti-birther forum; the one in Cary in the shopping center at Walnut and the 64 Fwy.

All the waitresses were ... beyond middle aged, and the story my friend told me was that that particular Olive Garden is one of the best-rated in the entire chain, because they've kept their staff for many, many years. I hadn't eaten at an Olive Garden in at least 15 years, and I had a great lunch.

The reason they're still writing and changing the regulations is that this isn't a long-established program yet. I'm sure Social Security didn't have hard and fast rules right out of the gate in 1935, either.

There's a real irony here: The Republicans called it "ObamaCare" to try to tie the law to this president, thinking that they could make the law so unpopular it would hurt his chances in 2012. Instead, he adopted the name, and made it his own. He loves calling it ObamaCare, and the law keeps getting more popular as time goes on and the various provisions kick in.

Imagine how the Republicans would hate it if Social Security was called "Roosevelt Security". Or if Medicare was called "LBJ-care". Those are some seriously popular programs. Did you know the guy who implemented the Canadian healthcare system was voted the most popular Canadian of all time?

I think the Republicans are going to seriously regret calling it ObamaCare by the time the 2014 elections roll around. :-k
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #15 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 3:05 pm

clando wrote:Foggy thanks for moving my post, this is definitely a much more appropriate thread discussion then JT8's miniature wargaming hobby thread.

I work a little harder than OMB at trying to provide a user-friendly forum. I don't really crack down on threadjacks. If they're interesting enough, I give them their own thread, that's all.

I'm not saying there isn't work out there for doing this ... you are probably going to spend more time trying to identify the employers that are going to need this service then actually signing people up. You are going to have lots of business that don't understand the law requirements and don't know they need to sign up or think they need to sign up and don't really need to.

Then I'll keep doing what I'm doing now: web design and development. I'm only doing this other thing because Wifehorn asked me to help out.

There will be a lot of what you talk about "gaming the system" as the rules get further defined ... I can assure you there will be some businesses doing the calculation on whether paying the penalty is more cost effective then providing insurance.

Of course there will. That was the main focus of all the Great Clips owners in that meeting I had. They were trying to figure out how to game the system, and the lawyer was there to help them. It's the American way. But none of them were thinking about shrinking or quitting their business. They're going to do the best they can and keep on going.

I will say if you do enough work with this and become an expert on the subject, it should set you up for some good consulting work going forward.

Something to think about. But I'd rather do web design. Web design is FUN.
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #16 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm

clando wrote:
mariaporter wrote:The rules change every week? Gee, I'm just feeling better and better about Obamacare everyday!
The rules aren't actually "changing" every week as much as they are being further explained. Regulations are written rather vague, as the laws they are based on are usually even more vague, and you simply can't contemplate every scenario and application to a regulation.

Not only that, the process of enacting regulations can be cumbersome. In a lot of cases, they propose the regulation, then there's a period for public comment, then they adjust the regulation based on things that get raised in the comments and sometimes they put an amended regulation out there for public comment. I think that process might have to be somewhat truncated this year, because one way or the other, the enrollment period does start in just 114 days ...
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #17 by Bill Bryan » June 10th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Finally had a chance to run your Forbes article past Wifehorn. She says we're going after individuals, not small businesses. My bad. #-o Well, she was probably going to tell me the real plan one of these days, anyway. :lol:

It's for this reason that she's the marketing person and I'm the computer geek. :-bd
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Post #18 by John Thomas8 » June 10th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Sales is always making it hard on IT and engineering..... :D

The Oracle

Post #19 by The Oracle » June 11th, 2013, 7:29 am

Foggy wrote:
I think the Republicans are going to seriously regret calling it ObamaCare by the time the 2014 elections roll around. :-k

Doesn't Hillary get some credit for laying it down in Clinton's administration..... And getting run over and smashed for the attempt?

Obamacare needs to become Hillarycare soon. Like in December 2014. In some small way. To insure it's successful transition into her Presidential term. :-bd

John Thomas8

Post #20 by John Thomas8 » June 11th, 2013, 9:24 am

The bulk of the law was scraped out of a conservative Heritage Foundation proposal written in slick willy's second term.

Return to “Health & Healthcare”