ObamaCare

Guest CommonTater
Posts: 27
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Re: ObamaCare

Post #281 by Guest CommonTater » November 14th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Former Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean questioned whether President Obama has the "legal authority" to carry out the Obamacare fix the White House outlined today:

“I wonder if he has the legal authority to do this, since this was a congressional bill that set this up,” said Dean of Obama's proposed fix.

The former Vermont governor suggested that since the Obamacare website isn't working, the president's signature legislation might fail


:huh:

So:

"Under the old law, if I had bought a plan starting June 1, 2013, then the insurance company would have to no longer offer that plan," one White House official told me. "Now, that can go for another year."


Just like that? :-k

Didn't see this coming either I spose.....

Karen Ignagni, president of America's Health Insurance Plans wrote:
“Making sure consumers have secure, affordable coverage is health plans' top priority. The only reason consumers are getting notices about their current coverage changing is because the ACA requires all policies to cover a broad range of benefits that go beyond what many people choose to purchase today.

“Changing the rules after health plans have already met the requirements of the law could destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for consumers. Premiums have already been set for next year based on an assumption of when consumers will be transitioning to the new marketplace. If now fewer younger and healthier people choose to purchase coverage in the exchange, premiums will increase and there will be fewer choices for consumers. Additional steps must be taken to stabilize the marketplace and mitigate the adverse impact on consumers.”
"Spilling a full beer you paid for is the adult equivalent of letting go of a balloon"

User avatar
clando
Posts: 560
Joined: August 9th, 2012, 8:04 am

Re: ObamaCare

Post #282 by clando » November 14th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Guest CommonTater wrote:And I said the same thing over there. Clan we even agreed on this point. Yes?
Yes, I agreed with you. Obama agreed to tinkering with the program today, so you can be rest assured there will be continued tinkering.

Guest CommonTater wrote:And I never said it wouldn't be.... Again come on guys read what I said. You want to keep attacking me because I post on TFF it seems....
My comment was regarding what the other people there said not you, sorry if that wasn't clear enough. I was just suggesting you don't take anything they say as the basis of an argument because I didn't really see knowledgeable comments on the subject. The comment was a reflection on them, not meant to be of you.

Guest CommonTater wrote:** But for the record I do NOT want a single payer system**
Just curious...what is your reasoning. No right or wrong answer to this, as we are veering off into hypothetical, not an actual discussion like the ACA.

User avatar
Bill Bryan
Posts: 1513
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #283 by Bill Bryan » November 15th, 2013, 6:08 am

... as the President of the United States kowtows to the worst elements in this great land of ours ... yeah baby, you can keep your shitty insurance with the annual and lifetime limits on coverage ... with pre-existing conditions not covered ... with no preventive care covered ...

... so that Fox News is appeased. Because, as history has shown, appeasement of right-wing ideologues works so very, very well.

So, umm ... yeah. Are they going to FORCE Blue Cross/Blue Shield to renew policies they thought they were done with? That's wonderful for the people who've been crying about government interference with the private sector, huh?

:sk: :sk: :sk: :sk: :sk:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

User avatar
7rob7
Posts: 1564
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

Re: ObamaCare

Post #284 by 7rob7 » November 15th, 2013, 7:50 am

:sk: :sk: :sk: :sk: :sk:

My sentiments exactly.

If the unhinged right can't undo the law, why not have the spineless center undo it for them?

Who thought of this minimum standards idea, anyway? Stalin? I should be able to buy a car without seatbelts if I want to, for as long as I want to, dammit! If I want my hamburger to be infected with mad cow or my breakfast cereal to contain an excessive amount of fecal material, it should be my right to buy exactly the food I want.

[img=center]http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/Pogo2.jpg[/img]
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

User avatar
JeffDeWitt
Posts: 48
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Deep in the heart of NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #285 by JeffDeWitt » November 15th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Yeah... and I should be forced to buy maternity care and fuzzy dice for my car because some idiot in Washington thinks I should.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." - RAH

User avatar
7rob7
Posts: 1564
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

Re: ObamaCare

Post #286 by 7rob7 » November 15th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Yeah, like I said: why should everyone carry his or her weight for the benefit of all Americans. What a racket.

Soon as I get home, Jeff, I'm going to call my accountant and tell I'm not paying property taxes anymore. I don't have any children, so why should I have to pay for other people's brats? If you procreate, you need to be prepared to pay for it 100%. Stop mooching off us childless folks, dammit!







](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

User avatar
JeffDeWitt
Posts: 48
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Deep in the heart of NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #287 by JeffDeWitt » November 15th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Umm.... a middle aged single guy with no kids being forced to buy maternity coverage makes about as much sense as buying socks for a tribble.

Put away your straw man...

User avatar
Bill Bryan
Posts: 1513
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #288 by Bill Bryan » November 15th, 2013, 4:58 pm

How much of your premium, in actual fact, goes toward maternity coverage, Jeffrey?

You can answer with a dollar amount or a percentage, doesn't matter to me. But you really do need to show that you're paying extra for maternity coverage, if you're going to keep complaining about having to pay for it.

Of course, since there's no difference between the premium for you and the premium for a woman with the same income and same age and same ZIP code as you ... since the law forbids the insurance company from discriminating between men and women, given that other circumstances are the same ... you are not being charged a dime for maternity coverage.

So stop complaining about straw men when your whole argument is based on a straw man.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

User avatar
optimusprime
Posts: 1321
Joined: July 22nd, 2013, 10:20 pm

Re: ObamaCare

Post #289 by optimusprime » November 15th, 2013, 7:32 pm

...Now,....the President is taking extraordinary steps to redeem his promise that folks can keep those crappy, fake-a** insurance plans if they want to keep them.

[PREDICTION...There WILL be a situation where someone complains next year that they got sick and the plan that THEY KEPT (because Obama hooked them up) had so many Swiss cheese holes in it that they really found out that they had no REAL COVERAGE after all!!! And they WILL BLAME OBAMA FOR ALLOWING THEM TO KEEP THEIR PLAN!!!!....]

But at least, PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS TAKEN SERIOUS STEPS TO KEEP HIS WORD in contrast to Bush41's "Read my lips" and Bush43's "WMDs."

This is not his best moment, but he is making the best of it with humility and with determination.
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~ Malcolm XImage

User avatar
Bill Bryan
Posts: 1513
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #290 by Bill Bryan » November 16th, 2013, 5:01 pm

[link]Forbes,http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2013/11/16/insurers-still-committed-to-obamacare-following-white-house-meeting/[/link]

Insurers Still Committed To Obamacare Following White House Meeting

In an unusual alliance between a liberal Democratic President and the traditionally Republican-leaning insurance industry, health plans are still backing the Affordable Care Act and the nation’s commander-in-chief following a White House meeting Friday.

Despite the political rhetoric coming out of Washington and pundits on television talking about lower popularity numbers for President Obama and continued efforts of Republicans to derail the legislation, the insurance industry believes the health law can be fixed, according to several sources close to the companies. They are more concerned about the healthcare.gov web site than the backlash about some Americans and Republicans being upset that policies that did not comply with new law are being cancelled.

Several major health insurance companies, led by their lobbyist Karen Ignagni, chief executive officer of America’s Health Insurance plans, met Friday with President Obama a day after he said health
insurance companies can for another year renew policies that were set to be cancelled because they didn’t provide adequate coverage under his signature health law.

That move by Obama didn’t sit well with the powerful insurance lobby that has banked on both sick and healthy people signing up for coverage so they can generate revenue from premiums and have money to pay claims and turn a profit for their shareholders or policyholders.

But Obama’s announcement has little power given the mostly individual policies sold on the government-run exchanges are regulated by state insurance directors. Several state insurance regulators have already said they don’t plan to allow the policies to be renewed.

In a statement to Forbes, Ignagni said she and health plan CEOs had a “good discussion that focused on how health plans and the administration can work together to improve the enrollment process and minimize disruption for consumers.”

“The CEOs talked about the challenges that exist in the marketplace and emphasized their commitment to helping consumers enroll in coverage that best meets their needs,” Ignagni added. “Health plans will continue to work with the administration to address the technical challenges with healthcare.gov and improve the direct enrollment process to help achieve the shared goal of getting more Americans covered.”
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

User avatar
Bill Bryan
Posts: 1513
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #291 by Bill Bryan » November 16th, 2013, 5:43 pm

[link]Obamacare website upgrade this weekend,http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/15/us-usa-healthcare-website-idUSBRE9AE18L20131115[/link]

The Obama administration hopes to upgrade the performance of its faltering HealthCare.gov website this weekend by adding new capacity just two weeks before a crucial deadline for having it running smoothly, a presidential adviser said on Friday.

"We will be bringing additional servers online, as well as additional database capacity and data storage. With these upgrades, we will significantly increase the system's capacity," President Barack Obama's website adviser Jeffrey Zients told reporters in a conference call ...

On Friday, Zients sounded less cautious than a week earlier, when he described the site as being "a long way from where it needs to be" with higher volumes of visitors exposing new problems.

He said round-the-clock efforts to correct HealthCare.gov's problems by hundreds of contractors have made "measurable" progress, allowing higher volumes of visitors to enter the site. A senior administration official told a congressional oversight panel this week that the system can now process nearly 17,000 registrations per hour.

The system continues to be slow during peak periods, despite improvements against system timeouts, errors and slow responses when volumes are lower, Zients said.

"We clearly need the system to perform reliably with fast response times and higher volumes. This is a key focus of our work now," he said.

The team has crossed more than 200 fixes off its "punch list" of technical issues and is targeting 50 additional improvements for the next week, Zients said.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8
Posts: 961
Joined: August 7th, 2012, 10:53 am
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #292 by John Thomas8 » November 16th, 2013, 10:59 pm

From here: Texas' Other Death Penalty

It's a sad commentary on our society that stories like these of genuine, verifiable suffering are drowned out in the mainstream press by op-eds from healthy people whose biggest problem is that their insurer tried to push them into a more profitable plan. The 25% uninsured number in Texas just blows my mind, and reading the stories of the people behind that number confirms that the ghouls trying to use emotional stories of canceled plans to ensure that many more sick people can never have the opportunity to get coverage in the first place are the worst people in the world.

"Doctor" Rachel sounds like a wonderful human being. It's a shame so many vile human beings are making her uncommon level of generosity necessary.


-- tonycpsu @ MeFi

User avatar
7rob7
Posts: 1564
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

Re: ObamaCare

Post #293 by 7rob7 » November 17th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I haz a questionable: just got off the phone with 7sister7 in Georgia, who's been trying since Day One to sign up -- she has no insurance and really, really needs some -- and hasn't been able to. Is there anyone in GA signing people up on paper now to be entered into the database later (like I understand we're doing in NC)?

Any resources you're aware of, oh great and powerful Foggy, that I can send her towards?

Thanks! :hug:
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

User avatar
Bill Bryan
Posts: 1513
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #294 by Bill Bryan » November 17th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I don't know a damned thing about Georgia. They're supposed to be upgrading the website this weekend. Maybe if she tries to connect during off-peak hours, she may have better luck.

I don't even know which companies are on the exchange in Georgia, or whether Georgia set up a state exchange (they probably didn't, being a deeply red state).

Health insurance agents are supposed to help people, and they should be free because we get paid by the insurance companies. Maybe she could find an honest health insurance agent?
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

User avatar
optimusprime
Posts: 1321
Joined: July 22nd, 2013, 10:20 pm

Re: ObamaCare

Post #295 by optimusprime » November 17th, 2013, 6:18 pm

7Rob7,

There is an area on the healthcare.gov site where if she would put in her zip, it will list all of the agencies that have the marketplace grants to fund Navigators, CACs and other agencies.

I am uploading a program and running computer maintenance on the home 'puter. Let me know if I need to post a webpage for your sister, and I will do so at my earliest convenience (tomorrow from work)

User avatar
Porque
Posts: 724
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Re: ObamaCare

Post #296 by Porque » November 17th, 2013, 8:08 pm

That's a little aggressive, Opie. Did you guys draw straws on who gets this 7pigeon7?


Ain't insurance sales great? :-bd

User avatar
Porque
Posts: 724
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Re: ObamaCare

Post #297 by Porque » November 17th, 2013, 9:04 pm

PS: You guys do Gummint Disability? I've been feeling a little peaked. :sk:

User avatar
7rob7
Posts: 1564
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:07 am

Re: ObamaCare

Post #298 by 7rob7 » November 17th, 2013, 9:22 pm

There is an area on the healthcare.gov site where if she would put in her zip, it will list all of the agencies that have the marketplace grants to fund Navigators, CACs and other agencies.

Is this the page you're thinking of, OP?

http://www.healthinsurance.org/georgia-state-health-insurance-exchange/

Thanks.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

User avatar
JeffDeWitt
Posts: 48
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Location: Deep in the heart of NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #299 by JeffDeWitt » November 18th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Foggy wrote:How much of your premium, in actual fact, goes toward maternity coverage, Jeffrey?

You can answer with a dollar amount or a percentage, doesn't matter to me. But you really do need to show that you're paying extra for maternity coverage, if you're going to keep complaining about having to pay for it.

Of course, since there's no difference between the premium for you and the premium for a woman with the same income and same age and same ZIP code as you ... since the law forbids the insurance company from discriminating between men and women, given that other circumstances are the same ... you are not being charged a dime for maternity coverage.

So stop complaining about straw men when your whole argument is based on a straw man.


Fact, the 0bamaCare requirements are causing peoples rates to skyrocket. You might consider their old policies "shitty insurance" but 0bama DID PROMISE "If you like your plan you can keep it, period".

Another fact, the whole 0bamaCare program is costing us a HUGE amount of money and if the goal was really as stated, to get more people insurance, so far it's a massive, expensive failure.

If the goal was really to make sure everyone could get the health care they needed there are much better, less expensive and FAR less intrusive ways to do it.

Sure, SOME people are better off, but a lot more are worse off and are either paying a lot more for their insurance or have dropped it entirely because they just can't afford it.

John Thomas8
Posts: 961
Joined: August 7th, 2012, 10:53 am
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Contact:

Re: ObamaCare

Post #300 by John Thomas8 » November 18th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Fact, the 0bamaCare requirements are causing peoples rates to skyrocket


No, not a fact. Opinion, backed by other opinions, founded on morally bankrupt partisan politics.


Return to “Health & Healthcare”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest