A modest response to damned ACLU interference with prayer

Bill Bryan

A modest response to damned ACLU interference with prayer

Post #1 by Bill Bryan » April 3rd, 2013, 8:01 am

The American Civil Liberties Union and ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation (ACLU-NCLF) filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of three Rowan County citizens, demanding that the Rowan County Board of Commissioners stop its unconstitutional practice of opening government meetings with prayers that are specific to one religion. [link]link,https://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2013/03/13[/link]

Consequently, the North Carolina State Legislature is now considering [link]a bill to overturn the religion clause,http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills/House/PDF/H494v0.pdf[/link] of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution as it applies to the Old North State.

I wonder which religion they're planning to establish as the official state religion? :-k
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Re: A modest response to damned ACLU interference with praye

Post #2 by 7rob7 » April 3rd, 2013, 8:22 am

Whereas, the Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional...

Tenthers, ya gotta love 'em.

Right before you bash open their heads with a meat tenderizer so you can put some brains inside.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

John Thomas8

Post #3 by John Thomas8 » April 3rd, 2013, 11:17 am

Of all the retarded things the 'pub legislature has done so far, this ranks right down there with the worst of them. The money wasted when they have to pay the state lawyers to defend this piece of crap will be amazing. And there is ZERO chance of it passing Constitutional muster, even with the 4 criminals currently sitting on SCOTUS.

This is smaller government with less interference in private lives?

East of Here

Post #4 by East of Here » April 3rd, 2013, 9:50 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:Of all the retarded things the 'pub legislature has done so far, this ranks right down there with the worst of them. The money wasted when they have to pay the state lawyers to defend this piece of crap will be amazing. And there is ZERO chance of it passing Constitutional muster, even with the 4 criminals currently sitting on SCOTUS.

This is smaller government with less interference in private lives?

What a lot of people don't realize is that by "smaller government", this crowd means "privatization". Which in turn means "just as much, if not a lot more, government and governmental intervention; but done by proxy at a much higher cost to the taxpayers than if done by the previously 'bigger' government".

In any event, it is only a matter of time before they realize that the U.S. Constitution doesn't expressly give women the right to leave the kitchen or wear shoes (and we already know their stance on keeping women pregnant). And if one of them ever actually reads the 13th Amendment and realizes that slavery is still constitutional (in part), they'll pop a woody faster than a 14 year old boy with a Victoria's Secret catalog.

John Thomas8

Post #5 by John Thomas8 » April 3rd, 2013, 11:46 pm

Coming up next: reinstating Prohibition, banning direct election of Senators, and disenfranchising women. And I heard Slavery was eliminated only because of out-of-control government regulators who don't understand how business works, so that might be on the table again, soon. Also, let's just get rid of public schools and universities all together. Go Republicans! Let nothing stop you in your drive to bring America back to its 1840s dominance!

mariaporter

Post #6 by mariaporter » April 4th, 2013, 7:36 am

What a waste of time and resources! This will never hold up and NC opens itself to all kinds of lawsuits. Our "leaders" have messed up priorities and are so freaking stupid they deserve whatever hell it is they are preparing themselves for.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. Sell not liberty to purchase power." -- Benjamin Franklin

The Oracle

Post #7 by The Oracle » April 4th, 2013, 8:38 am

I agree with Maria that this is a huge waste. The cost of which will go to the taxpayers.

I'd prefer the three Rowan County citizens just lighten up. It takes two sides to make a battle. This Legislature is clearly looking for the battles. Why can't the people of Rowan County just ignore the freakin' prayer? I do it all the time. The place to "complain" about Bible huggin' elected reps is the ballot box.

The under-employed lawyers of the ACLU get to charge their time to their victory. They know they can win. And; they know the taxpayer will pay whatever fees that they bill, based on the judgement.

Is that really the way to go?

Bill Bryan

Post #8 by Bill Bryan » April 4th, 2013, 8:56 am

The Oracle wrote:Why can't the people of Rowan County just ignore the freakin' prayer? I do it all the time.

^^^ This.

When I used to go to Wake Co. Democratic Party functions, they always started with a prayer and the Pledge. I kinda stood there respectfully during the prayer, but I mostly ignored it. And when they got to the "under God" part of the Pledge, I'd just clam up for a moment of silence before I'd continue saying "with liberty and justice for all" (which remains a promise unfulfilled, but whatever).

If you're going to take a stand, take a stand against something important, not a prayer to start a meeting. :wag:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”