Want To See Some Excellent Painting?

John Thomas8

Want To See Some Excellent Painting?

Post #1 by John Thomas8 » March 4th, 2013, 11:49 am

Come by the North Raleigh Hilton this weekend (8-10 March) and check out the models, terrain and figures at Spring Fever, the Triangle Simulation Society's semi-annual wargaming convention. To look, it costs nothing. If you want to jump in and play, it's $10 for the day on Saturday or $20 for access on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Here's the registration information (note, kids under 13 are free to look and play): here's a link (PDF) to the game schedule (the WWI trench game at 0900 is awesome. The Game Master, Mike Tyson, is an awesome artist and an even better story teller): and last, here's (PDF) a brief description of each game.

Along with Mike, there are many fantastic artists displaying their painting and terrain making skills, coupled with folks with in-depth knowledge of the history behind the game they're running and quite willing to discuss it before and after the game, all added to telling interesting stories while they go.

The War Hammer 40K tournament features some of the most beautifully painted figures and terrain.

Of course there are vendors there if you get a hankerin' to join in, selling figures, terrain and paint to get you started.

TSS is staffed with some great people, starting with 5-decade gamer Ed Mohrmann, who has a lifetime achievement award from a national war gaming association for his dedication to the hobby and integrity, both personal and historical.

Bill Bryan

Re: Want To See Some Excellent Painting?

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » March 9th, 2013, 5:56 am

See you there @ 9 a.m. this morning. :D
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #3 by 7rob7 » March 9th, 2013, 8:09 am

You guys have fun. I'll be in rehearsal all day today for something that I believe is going to be equally wonderful, just in a different way.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » March 9th, 2013, 11:35 am

Whoa. Puppets. Just like President Obama! :P

Well, JT wasn't there yet. We spent an hour and learned a lot about the hobby. Told my boys, "I'm going to find out why this ISN'T boring."

So we learned that in this hobby, you have to know your history, and you have a whole crafting thing that's part of it, and guys were walking in with a pile of boxes on luggage-wheel thingies with all their stuff. They set up battles and then play it out, taking turns with dice and cards that tell you how to interpret the rolls of the dice ... and rulers. 'Cuz, y'know, a submachine gun's range only reaches 18" across the board (heavy machine guns have a much longer range). We saw fantasy games with robots and monsters. We saw battles with soldiers ranging from ancient Celts or even more ancient Romans, all the way to WWII.

They had zombie battles. You can buy model female zombies, then you have to paint the blood on them, so naturally that's the first thing I'd do if I got into it, of course. Yeah, I could get into painting blood on female zombies. :yeah:

The WWI trench warfare board was very realistic, with 'water' puddled in the artillery shell craters, sections of the trench that were built for firing across the field, etc.

It's not going to be my hobby when I grow up, but I did find out why it isn't boring. JT8 is running a game at 1 p.m., so Alex and I are going back then.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #5 by Bill Bryan » March 10th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Fascinating hobby. These are board games you create yourself, with elaborate sets of rules, figures and terrain. Took some shots with my cell phone yesterday, threw them all out when I saw them. Today I took my real camera down there, but it was sparsely populated by comparison. Yesterday there were a hundred people in the room.

So here's some photos:

Pre-dreadnoughts [precursors to battleships, circa 1870 - 1905]

You are looking at the Atlantic Ocean, and these two gentlemen are conducting a naval battle. With an elaborate set of rules, they're taking turns rolling dice and then making ship movements or firing the big guns according to the value of the dice. The little white cards show the value of various dice rolls as applied to specific ships. The orange markers show prior ship movement, just as in books that diagram famous sea battles. The guy in the red sweater is picking up his dice after rolling. The other guy has turned one of his ships over -- a casualty of war.

Weapon ranging in Middle Earth

All weapons have range limits, of course; part of the elaborate rules I mentioned. This young lady is measuring. Everyone has their dice and their own measuring tapes. The young lady also had a service dog -- a part dingo, part Aussie sheepdog. She's hypoglycemic and the dog can smell when her blood sugar is dropping. He paws her leg, unless she's ignoring the pawing, in which case if her blood sugar gets dangerously low, he'll start barking at her.

Middle Earth Fort - from Lord of the Rings

There are various categories of games, of course: Historical battles, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc. This is a fort held and defended by the Rohan (?) (I've never read the trilogy). It's a closer shot of the table in the previous photo.

Painting the figures

Excellent painting, indeed. These guys are using extremely small brushes to paint extremely small figures. The next few photos show some of the detail they manage to achieve.

Warmachine & Hordes

These are a particular brand of fantasy game, with Warmachine being mostly robots, and Hordes being mostly monsters. As you can see, the round green thing is for measuring blast diameters.

Warmachine painting details

A little closer shot reveals the level of detail of the painted figures.

Hordes

They say that in real life these make wonderful pets.

More painting detail

I'd estimate it takes an hour or more just to paint one of these babies. The real enthusiasts have hundreds of them.

Vendors and manufacturers

I'm certain you'll be shocked to find that you can sink a lot of money into this hobby, and that you have the opportunity to do so, right there at the show. The small figures are made of metal or plastic.

Germans in a box

On a manufacturer's table of goodies.

Games and rules

As I understand it (didn't open any of the boxes) these contain the elaborate sets of rules, designs for making your board surface, history of the original battles, etc.

Everything is better with zombies.

Gotta have zombie apocalypse games, of course.

Zombie Vixens

OK, if I become a wargamer, I'm mostly just going to paint blood on zombie vixens. :-bd

Wind in the Wires

As I left the show, JT8 was setting up his WWI air combat game.

'Course, any modern child will demand that planes fly, that monsters really fight robots, and that pre-dreadnoughts actually sink each other with gunfire. There's a prerequisite to becoming a wargamer: You gotta have an imagination. Gotta know some history. Gotta have some crafting ability. There were people in the room who have been doing this for 40 or more years.

Interesting hobby, n'est ce pas?
- President Barack Obama

Return to “Painting/Illustration”