What are you reading lately?

Bill Bryan

What are you reading lately?

Post #1 by Bill Bryan » August 27th, 2012, 5:00 am

I'm trying to retrain myself to be a web developer in my spare time, and will begin some formal training in a month or two. So I read a lot of books on web design.

But I've read two really remarkable non-fiction books lately, including one that I recommend for everyone.

1493 is about how the world -- the entire world -- was changed by European discovery of the New World and Asia. Fascinating.

The other one is How We Decide, by Jonah Lehrer. If you read this book and aren't amazed by the new discoveries about how the brain really works ... this is the most informative and entertaining book I've read in years.

I'm running a book club on Fogbow, totally unrelated to the birther movement. We just read good books. We had a book club earlier, but it sorta fell aside for a while. I'm starting it up again with three suggested books for October. The really cool thing was, I read books I would never have chosen on my own, and they were all great. So, umm ... yeah. One book club member suggests three books.

We all vote on which book to read. Then we read the winner, and discuss starting the following month. And the next person in line suggests three more books for that month.

Twice, we got the author to come on our little Intarwebz radio show, and the book club got to spend two magical hours with the authors.

Seriously, this has nothing to do with the birthers. Here is where I run polls, schedule who's responsible for next month's picks, and so forth:

http://www.thefogbow.com/fogbow-book-club

I encourage all of you to join. You're all members of Fogbow already ...
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

John Thomas8

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post #2 by John Thomas8 » August 27th, 2012, 5:45 am

I'd jump in, but I'm so sick of reading "non-fiction" on current events that I'm vaguely considering giving up reading altogether.

Most of my family is RWNJs of the non-birfer type and I've read some of the most silly "tomes of truth" I've ever run across.

janeybell

Post #3 by janeybell » September 10th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I've given up on reading pretty much anything intellectual or redeeming at this point and read almost exclusively garbage.....

Oh, and the 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride, which was just awesome

John Thomas8

Post #4 by John Thomas8 » September 10th, 2012, 12:29 pm

read almost exclusively garbage.....

Over vacation I read what most reviewers are calling garbage: 50 Shades of Grey.

I sincerely disagree with the reviewers, both "professional" and amateur. Is the series Tolkien-level? Shakespeare? Hardly. Is it bad writing? Is it implausable? Does it get the lifestyle wrong? Again, hardly.

janeybell

Post #5 by janeybell » September 10th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Loved all 3 of those. Again, not Shakespeare, but that wasn't what I was looking for, anyway.

Was it cliche'ed in the whole tortured soul rescued by love, etc? Yep. Did it matter? Nope. It was a good story that was fairly written and hotter than holy hell. Exactly my kind of garbage. For fuck's sake, I read The Taming of Sleeping Beauty when I was 16. This is hardly anything new, but it definitely filled the need.

Now I have to sit and wait for another Black Dagger Brotherhood book to be released. Ah sweet, sweet garbage.

John Thomas8

Post #6 by John Thomas8 » September 10th, 2012, 7:42 pm

The Nook version of the 3rd book has a teaser for the next book......the initial meeting of Anastasia and Grey from his viewpoint.....

pjhimself

Post #7 by pjhimself » December 5th, 2015, 6:55 pm

The Wright Brothers

#1 New York Times bestseller

Two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize David McCullough tells the dramatic story-behind-the-story about the courageous brothers who taught the world how to fly: Wilbur and Orville Wright.

On a winter day in 1903, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, two unknown brothers from Ohio changed history. But it would take the world some time to believe what had happened: the age of flight had begun, with the first heavier-than-air, powered machine carrying a pilot.

Who were these men and how was it that they achieved what they did?

David McCullough, two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize, tells the surprising, profoundly American story of Wilbur and Orville Wright.

Far more than a couple of unschooled Dayton bicycle mechanics who happened to hit on success, they were men of exceptional courage and determination, and of far-ranging intellectual interests and ceaseless curiosity, much of which they attributed to their upbringing. The house they lived in had no electricity or indoor plumbing, but there were books aplenty, supplied mainly by their preacher father, and they never stopped reading.

When they worked together, no problem seemed to be insurmountable. Wilbur was unquestionably a genius. Orville had such mechanical ingenuity as few had ever seen. That they had no more than a public high school education, little money and no contacts in high places, never stopped them in their “mission” to take to the air. Nothing did, not even the self-evident reality that every time they took off in one of their contrivances, they risked being killed.

In this thrilling book, master historian David McCullough draws on the immense riches of the Wright Papers, including private diaries, notebooks, scrapbooks, and more than a thousand letters from private family correspondence to tell the human side of the Wright Brothers’ story, including the little-known contributions of their sister, Katharine, without whom things might well have gone differently for them. - See more at: http://books.simonandschuster.com/The-W ... I7gQi.dpuf

Bill Bryan

Post #8 by Bill Bryan » December 5th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Very cool, I'm going to read that.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

Porque

Post #9 by Porque » December 5th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Thanks, PJ, looks like a book I will enjoy.
(I just ordered it. :-*)

MarseBill's on board, so it appears you've captured the available market here at NCFF
(Opie sticks to the UCMJ - and 7silly7 reads Harry Potter over and over and over.)

Bill Bryan

Post #10 by Bill Bryan » December 5th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Mr. 7 is the only one here who turned a novel into a successful play. Wrote the screenplay, directed, produced, and got stellar reviews. Let me know when you do anything close to that, Porky. Then maybe you can belittle his reading habits without sounding so terribly infantile.
- President Barack Obama

Porque

Post #11 by Porque » December 5th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Truss me, I've read his peer reviews.

Stellar? Try cellar.

7rob7

Post #12 by 7rob7 » December 5th, 2015, 10:28 pm

This is why I despise this little fuckhead so much: he even lies about his lying.

He has NOT read any "peer" reviews of my work. What he scoured/stalked the Internet to find was a snarky piece of shit written by someone who ignored the information that the workshop of a piece in development was not to be reviewed since it was a, duh, workshop of a piece in development. We put some outlines of ideas up in front of an audience who came prepared to give us solicited feedback. It wasn't a show; it was barely a rehearsal, since we we improvising big chunks of it.

If the person who violated industry standards by writing about something that didn't exist had stuck around for the feedback, she might have heard the audience compliment me by thinking an original story that I wrote was a traditional folktale.

But that's too human for the Porkhead.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #13 by Bill Bryan » December 6th, 2015, 6:42 am

Wow, I must have missed that incident, Mr. 7.

But, umm ... yeah. Porky is an intelligent man who spends every day of his life trying to be less and less intelligent, and he's pretty durn good at it.

The dumbing down, not of a nation or a society or a school system, but of a single person. It's fascinating, like watching a train wreck in slow motion. He's taught himself to say things that are -- to use a phrase that was coined by our newest lawyer on Fogbow* -- pigfuckingly ignorant.

And all because he can't accept that the world becomes more progressive with the passage of time.

Edit: * This dude was a great commenter on Fogbow in 2009-2010. He was very interested in the legal issues, and we encouraged him to go to law school. He lived in Hawaii; for the first year his wife, a doctor in the Army, was stationed in Afghanistan. So he went to Univ. of Hawaii Law School, graduated in May, and is now an attorney living with his wife in Ye Merry Olde England, practicing international law and working on an advanced degree. I met him at our big meetup in Los Angeles in June 2013. Wonderful guy, had a ton of life experience before he had a day of law school. Brilliant man, and yesterday morning bright and early he's writing about one of the morons who entertain us and he blurts out "pigfuckingly ignorant". The rest of us were all "ooh" and "ahh" and "aieee!" and we all started using it right away.

I think it fits Porky's posts most excellently. ;;)

pigfuckingly ignorant!
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #14 by 7rob7 » December 6th, 2015, 9:58 am

That's so beautiful. :xo I can't wait to use it!

- - - - - - -

The post to which I refer was something he put up on the TFF so he and PustulantAssholeIsMyName could enjoy another session of online whacking-off. Needless to say, OMB did not respond to my request to delete the personal information posted. Needless to say, my years of financial contributions to the site ceased immediately. You know the rest.

This is also why I no longer post anything about anything I do. No trips, no shows, no deaths in the family, no cats, no nada. (Though I will mention while I'm here that I have never read a Harry Potter novel in my life, and have no intention to do so.)

Bill Bryan

Post #15 by Bill Bryan » December 6th, 2015, 11:44 am

Actually, I rather liked the Harry Potter novels. My kids have all of them, and I read them one after another last spring, bing bing bing.

They're very well written and are compelling stories, and it's not difficult to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy them thoroughly.

Then I read all the demi-god novels by Richard Riordan, and I enjoyed those too. The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, Mark of Athena and about 6 others.

Then I read a bunch of dystopian series:

• The Kill Order, Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure by James Dashner

• Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

• Legend, Prodigy, Champion by Marie Lu

• Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant by Veronica Roth ◄-- this was the best of the group

• The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son by Lois Lowry

... and a sci-fi series I totally loved:

• Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game was the most thought-provoking movie I've seen in the last few years, but I go see a lot of Avengers and other kick-ass action movies with my teenage boys, so the stuff we see isn't much for thought-provoking. The other movie I loved recently was The Martian. Don't see a lot of movies that glorify science and math and shit. The hero is ... a botanist. \:D/

But Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead are better than Ender's Game the book. You won't understand them unless you read Ender's Game first, but they're all wonderful books.

But I definitely recommend Harry Potter. Those are interesting and fun books.
- President Barack Obama

Bill Bryan

Post #16 by Bill Bryan » December 6th, 2015, 11:53 am

Right now I'm starting to re-read the entire Bernie Gunther series by Phillip Kerr. Starting from the beginning with March Violets.
- President Barack Obama

7rob7

Post #17 by 7rob7 » December 6th, 2015, 5:57 pm

To get back on topic: my current reading stack consists of:

• Playing The Whore: The Work of Sex Work, by Melissa Gira Grant

• The Lives of the Muses : Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired, by Francine Prose (covers the range from Alice Liddel to Yoko Ono)

• 30-Second Quantum Theory, ed. Brian Clegg

• The Routledge Companion to Puppetry and Material Performance, ed. Posner, Orenstein, & Bell (one of the editors and several of the contributors are friends and co-workers of mine. Very cool to see their names in print in a significant contribution to the artform.)

To be honest, Oz more or less spoiled me for Potter, Middle Earth, etc. Pretty addicted to speculative fiction in short story form, but the epic series doesn't appeal to me as much.

Return to “Literature, Language & Writing”