Southern Front 6-8 September

John Thomas8

Southern Front 6-8 September

Post #1 by John Thomas8 » August 3rd, 2013, 9:53 pm

One of the oldest miniature wargaming conventions around, Triangle Simulation Society's fall convention is a great place to play games, learn some history and take in some awesome sights of figure painting and terrain making. We're at the North Raleigh Hilton again and this should be a good one.

http://www.trianglesimsociety.org/?page_id=6

East of Here

Re: Southern Front 6-8 September

Post #2 by East of Here » January 5th, 2014, 2:12 am

JT8:

Today, I went to the Military Antiques show at the Fairgrounds. It turned out to be a colossal waste of time. Everything in there (which wasn't much) was priced 50% (or more) above full retail. It was ridiculous. I did one good lap and left. But since the flea market was going on, I decided to go over there and root around. I did pretty good over there, including scoring some ammo for 1/4 the current retail and 1/8 of what they were charging for the same ammo in the gun show (seriously). But, I digress...

In any event, while I was walking around the junk tables, I found a guy who had these:

[thumbnail]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/JFK1969/archeology/molds1_zps7fcb6792.jpg[/thumbnail]

-and-

[thumbnail]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/JFK1969/archeology/molds2_zps12f0efb1.jpg[/thumbnail]

They are molds for civil war lead soldiers, etc. The guy said he thought some of them might be British soldiers (or stuff) of some sort. He basically was cleaning out the garage and brought some of his stuff to sell. He said that he got into the casting soldiers, etc. way back when his kids were young and hadn't messed with it in years. I asked him how much the molds were and he said something like "I think I have $6 apiece in them" or something like that. However, I never outright asked him how much he wanted for them, as I am not in that hobby and it was cold as hell outside. But, I knew you were into this sort of thing, so I got this guy's number in case you (or someone you know) was interested in these molds. He only had these 2 boxes that I saw, but it looks like there are 30-35 molds there. Sorry, but that is all I know. He didn't know whether or not he would be setting back up out there at the fairgrounds. So if you, or someone you know is looking for these type molds, shoot me a PM and I will PM you the guy's name and number. If not, that's no skin off my back either.

John Thomas8

Post #3 by John Thomas8 » January 5th, 2014, 2:51 am

Wow. Those have the potential to be kinda really awesome.....depending on who owns the IP.....I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure buying those from a flea market makes them mine to produce.

Bill Bryan

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » January 5th, 2014, 8:54 am

East of Here IS a lawyer, y'know. :hug:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

East of Here

Post #5 by East of Here » January 5th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Yeah, but I don't do IP law. However, I think these were commercially available molds, so I doubt there would be any IP issues with using them. I think these were sold to people precisely for the purpose of them casting these figures. Where I think you would have problems is where you took someone else's original figures and made your own molds of those figures without the original artist's consent.

John Thomas8

Post #6 by John Thomas8 » January 5th, 2014, 7:42 pm

One of the neat things about folks that are active in miniature wargaming is the absolute loyalty to figure/model producers. If we see knock offs we report them to the IP owner. If they're seen on eBay the folks that spot them hammer eBay until the item is removed. We're a small hobby, and outside of Games Workshop and Battlefront the folks that produce our toys are 1-2 man shops running out of their garage or small work space and we know if we don't stomp the knockoffs we'll loose manufacturers.

Return to “Hobbies & Passions”