East of Here will like this one ...

Bill Bryan

East of Here will like this one ...

Post #1 by Bill Bryan » January 15th, 2015, 11:31 am

132-year-old Winchester rifle found propped against desert tree in Nevada

Facebook posts:

Great Basin National Park is in Eastern Nevada, near the border with Utah.

"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

East of Here

Re: East of Here will like this one ...

Post #2 by East of Here » January 15th, 2015, 11:31 pm

It really does make you wonder what exactly transpired there. My guess is some guy was hunting many, many years ago and propped up the rifle in order to dress/skin a deer - then packed out the deer and forgot the rifle. By the time he noticed it was gone, he either didn't remember what he did with it or figured he must've lost it somewhere along the way and maybe didn't have the time to go back for it. Luckily, whoever found it did not disturb it, and allowed the rangers to preserve it for the park's future.

East of Here

Post #3 by East of Here » January 16th, 2015, 12:41 am

It's kind of ironic that you posted that story, actually. Just last week, nearly the same thing happened to me! A guy gave me a cardboard box, and when I opened it, I found this:

[thumbnail]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/JFK1969/archeology/CandR/nagant1_zps6ef10e13.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/JFK1969/archeology/CandR/nagant2_zpsf03ef457.jpg[/thumbnail]

It is dated "1919" and has strange foreign writing on it:

[thumbnail]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d22/JFK1969/archeology/CandR/nagant3_zps13b43898.jpg[/thumbnail]

There is no telling where it came from, or how it came to be in that box. It may be Native American, because a buddy of mine told me that the guy who left it was probably from the "Yu-Pee-Yess" (sp?), but I have never heard of that tribe...

Bill Bryan

Post #4 by Bill Bryan » January 16th, 2015, 7:04 am

... a buddy of mine told me that the guy who left it was probably from the "Yu-Pee-Yess" (sp?), but I have never heard of that tribe...

That's the tribe that wears brown clothes and drives these big square brown trucks around, delivering packages. :lol:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

East of Here

Post #5 by East of Here » January 16th, 2015, 11:24 pm

You must be psychic!

But, back on topic - this rifle, while cool as hell, kinda bugs me because I will never know the backstory. I just keep thinking of the movie "Jeremiah Johnson":

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it. Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead.

Sincerely,
Hatchet Jack.

John Thomas8

Post #6 by John Thomas8 » January 16th, 2015, 11:31 pm

That looks Cyrillic, the stamping on that revolver. Something from the Russian Revolution?

East of Here

Post #7 by East of Here » January 16th, 2015, 11:42 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:That look Cyrillic, the stamping on that revolver. Something from the Russian Revolution?

Yep. Russian 1895 Nagant revolver (made in the Tula arms plant). It shoots a 7.62X38R cartridge. The 1919 dated pistols are kinda rare for just that reason (the revolution's wreaking/wrought havoc). They are an odd, over-engineered creature. When you cock the hammer, it actually rotates the cylinder AND moves the cylinder forward to seal the open end of the chamber to the barrel. For that reason, it just about takes a John Deere 3000 series farm tractor to pull the trigger in double action mode. However, it is fine in single action mode. Another odd thing is that by pressing the cylinder forward and sealing the chamber to the barrel, the Nagant is the only revolver capable of being suppressed. While the action is an interesting exercise in engineering for its time, your standard Colt pistols were much simpler, more effective and easier to use.

Return to “Hobbies & Passions”