long overdue

The Oracle

long overdue

Post #1 by The Oracle » August 23rd, 2012, 12:40 pm

There a handful of us that have been together for a long time. So glad to see Janeybell back.

I'm not going to bother with JB this time. And I want a hammer. There no reason we can't make this a premier forum. We certainly have enough experience.

Bill Bryan

Re: long overdue

Post #2 by Bill Bryan » August 23rd, 2012, 4:12 pm

I don't need any moderators quite yet. There are only five members besides me (tester is for testing things and Rhoda Galaxy is only around because Rhoda was my grandma's name and because Hillary Rhoda was born in the town next to mine in Maryland and because Rhoda's avatar is one of the coolest things I ever did with GIMP):

The real Rhoda:

rhodaeyes.jpg
rhodaeyes.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

Couldn't you just fall into those eyes and never swim back to the surface, hmm? :xo

So anyway, there's nobody to moderate yet. What are ya gonna do, hammer Mr. 7 or Clan? :lol:
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

janeybell

Post #3 by janeybell » August 24th, 2012, 12:52 am

I'll have to find myself an appropriately fitting avatar now. I'm slightly out of practice.

Nice to see you guys, too! I must say, I've missed everybody.

The Oracle

Post #4 by The Oracle » August 24th, 2012, 7:25 am

7Rob would be good practice. I've never been, or wanted to be, a moderator. You all may find my moderation unique. In fact; I'm sure you will find my moderation unique. At the same time; there should be several moderators. I've noticed over the years that those of us that are here: keep quite different hours. It's one reason why I suggest a core group of moderators. Who, ideally, would interact through a closed user part of this forum. A private room called something else. All of you have reached a level worthy of technical control. Partly because, you are in control.

There's no question the sooner we organize; the more strength and longevity this forum will have. The incipient nature of forum degradation is difficult to detect. But I would imagine the beginning will arrive before the 20th member registers.

And for some reason; I knew the two no-names were Admins own making.

janeybell

Post #5 by janeybell » August 24th, 2012, 10:11 am

Ah glorious glorious sock puppets.....

Should mods also be sock puppets? Or is the goal for the board to be mostly unmoderated...

The Oracle

Post #6 by The Oracle » August 24th, 2012, 12:03 pm

janeybell wrote:Ah glorious glorious sock puppets.....

Should mods also be sock puppets? Or is the goal for the board to be mostly unmoderated...

One's an interesting question. The other is a definite no. Without moderation; all forums end up the same way. With a few men playing king-of-the-hill. Most, if not all women, long gone. Though a few remain. Loudmouth louts always take unmoderated forums and use them like toilet paper. They have a handful of followers who easily circle the wagons and allow the behavior to continue.

That's not going to happen here.

Sock puppet mods is a different question. Speaking for myself; The Oracle doesn't feel the need. Given the longstanding relationship with Admin.; to be anything but the Oracle. I've seen one too many great boards disolve away to NOT be involved. Boards that had true potential to be regional gems. TFF had that potential for a moment. And you see what it has become.

Assuming your talking about the inevitable back-biting that comes with moderation, directed back at the moderator. Charges of favoritism. Good ol' boys club stuff. That ruins the ability to participate normally. I don't have an answer. It's a presupposition that great boards shouldn't have. Monty comes to mind. If I did have a sock puppet handle; it would be Monty. I've known several board Monty's. I think they migrate to Texas. Where they live on cactus's with yellow flowers. Desert indians worship them.

John Thomas8

Post #7 by John Thomas8 » August 25th, 2012, 1:39 am

I keep quite goofy hours, working over night on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I mostly stick to that kind of schedule during the week, too.

And if anyone can tell when some poster is ramping up to get stupid, I have the personal experience to recognize the behaviour.

There is a fine line though. Whacking posts because you disagree with them is quite different from whacking posts that are disagreeable. One type has to be whacked, quickly, and the other tolerated. Moderators are not Keepers Of The Board's Opinion, but rather Keeper Of The Board's Decorum. Just a quick example of what I mean, the dewitt thread about incomes falling is something I disagree with, but isn't really disagreeable in a whack-it sort of way, while veggie's 25 troll threads/week need hammered while the pixels are still wet.

Just my 2 cents.

7rob7

Post #8 by 7rob7 » August 26th, 2012, 7:09 am

7Rob would be good practice.

I try to do what I can for the betterment of my compadres, seeking no reward for myself.

[hr]
So wonderful to see Janeybell again. It makes hanging on through the TFF [stuff] worthwhile.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be; it's easy.

Bill Bryan

Post #9 by Bill Bryan » August 26th, 2012, 10:29 am

When we need mods, I'll make most of you mods.

Before I continue, a caveat: I know that Fobgow is (mostly) a single-issue forum with a lot of like minded people.

Still, we have our disagreements, and strong feelings on both sides. We manage to resolve them without rancor, because of just ONE RULE, of the rules I copied and put in place here.

And that rule is, no bashing other members of the forum. You can say "Your argument is stupid because _________," and give REASONS.

But you cannot say "You're stupid and a moron."

Just because of that one rule, my forum is a truly pleasant place, and the smart people stick around while the trolls quickly leave.

I do, in fact, have a place to put trolls and birthers on Fobgow: a sekrit forum called FEMA Camp 7½ (the 7½ comes from the movie "Being John Malkovich").

For birthers and other RWNJs, it's a dream come true: FINALLY they know somebody who's been put in a FEMA camp. :-bd And I don't enforce the rule against bashing there.

BUT, that forum is entirely invisible to you, unless you decide you WANT to interact with trolls and other asshole types, in which case you have to join a special user group called "FEMA Staff & Visitors".

I'm the only one who can throw people in the camp, and even though I allow the trolls freedom within it -- and there are about 100 members of the FEMA Staff & Visitors -- they don't usually stay long. A few posts and they wander off to somewhere else where they can stir up some shit.

I plan to do the exact same thing here. That's all I ever ask my mods to do: Enforce that one rule against bashing another member of the forum. Bash Obama all you want. Bash the Mittwit. Bash anyone you want that isn't a member. This turned into a problem only once, when Orly Taitz joined Fobgow and I still expected everyone to be pleasant with her. But she promptly outed me by real name and by looking me up in her dental records, and I banned her ass instantly.

If we can just enforce that one rule fairly, while allowing a maximum of free speech otherwise, I think we'll thrive and grow.

More will be revealed.
"My presidency is entering the fourth quarter. Interesting stuff happens in the fourth quarter."
- President Barack Obama

The Oracle

Post #10 by The Oracle » August 26th, 2012, 6:35 pm

It's a good idea........ except everybody here with the exception of Janeybell has broken it. For good reason.

In theory though..... we can always try. There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning. Excellent moderation requires more than absolutes. Regardless of anything said; I'm going after those people who bring the board down. Whose dark nature and neferious actions diminish the potential we have.

janeybell

Post #11 by janeybell » August 27th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Oh, Oh!....what rule have I not broken, yet? Let me get right on that!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”